Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Striker Vs. Hammer Fire

Feedback Score
    I love my Sigs but I bought aluminum ammo once and my Sigs jammed after every round while my Glocks jammed on every 4th or 5th.
    Last edited by Bulldog7972; 12-14-20 at 21:57.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All weapons - large or small - should be mission driven.
    For my CCW weapon, the Primary criteria are...
    - reliable
    - ability to put combat-accurate rounds on target ASAP (requires....)
    - .....visible sights
    - .....A GOOD TRIGGER

Secondary criteria include...
    - large capacity (if/where allowed)
    - available in combat-effective caliber (with over-penetration preferred over lesser amounts)
    - holster choice & weapon weight allow carry during all waking hours
    - weapon light use optional

I’ve been shooting now over 60 years. MY “go to” handgun is currently a DW Valor. Yes - I have carried a G17 with a RDS (and own two set-up this way, as well as a naked G26.)
    FWIW - All three of my social revolvers are set up with moon clips for .45 acp, with Double Tap or Buffalo Bore ammo.
    Again - everything is mission driven. And as always - YMMV

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've carried both hammer and striker. In the late 80s to early 90s it was the Sig. P226 and P228. Mid 90s we switched over to striker fired. G22 and G27 as backup. Now I carry a G19. Honestly I like both types and would trust my life to either without reservation. The biggest downside to hammer fired is the DA first shot. The biggest advantage is second strike capability. With striker fired it's simplicity of design and consistency first shot to last.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    On several occasions, we've picked up light struck ammo from a striker, dropped it into a 1911, and got it to fire.

That said, I still carry a Glock.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I find that the total number of parts to be largely irrelevant today. Maybe that mattered in the 70s ... dunno.... wasn't around for that. But today...?? Glock lists as having 34 moving parts meanwhile the Soviet Makarov has something like 27

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Small point. I have noticed, consistently, that ammo with hard primers that stop a Glock will usually run in my hammer fired guns, be it Berettas, CZs, etc. I recently found some RWS that would choke down my G30s that would run in my HK USP 45. I think it just comes down to hammers have a bit more energy.
    Glocks issued in shithole parts of the world with inconsistent ammo supplies have been known to receive extra power striker springs. That makes them a bitch to shoot but at least they shoot.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The only hammer fired guns I've seen that I didn't have ignition confidence in are the SIG P220s. I had a buddy who had one, and my dad's duty 45... both of which had light primer strike failures that wouldn't fire on a second double action pull.

I could get the round to fire in my beater Norinco 1911 however.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog7972 View Post
    I love my Sigs but I bought aluminum ammo once and my Sigs jammed after every round while my Glocks jammed on every 4th or 5th.
    I don't recall having problems with aluminum cased Blazer in Glocks. What were you shooting?

Feedback Score
    Federal 9mm fmj.

Feedback Score
    All of my hammer guns are beautiful and accurate, like a Corvette.

All of my strikers are like a Toyota Tundra.

Both have their place in the driveway but when I want to get work done, I’m taking the strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast