Thread: Suppress a 308 or not?

Feedback Score

Suppress a 308 or not?

I have a Springfield Armory Victor Saint 308, I also purchased a DeadAir Sandman Ti to primarily use on my 10.5in 300blk. The Ti is a direct thread so I had planned to just keep it on the 300Blk but then I thought it would be fun to put it on the 308. So my question is what should I do with the 308 when I'm not using the suppressor. Just put a thread protector on it or put on a muzzle device (I have six different ones to chose from)? If I use a muzzle device I'll need to crank it down so every time I want to use the suppressor I need to go back to the vise and take it off. Are there other options other than buying another can?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oncewas View Post
    I have a Springfield Armory Victor Saint 308, I also purchased a DeadAir Sandman Ti to primarily use on my 10.5in 300blk. The Ti is a direct thread so I had planned to just keep it on the 300Blk but then I thought it would be fun to put it on the 308. So my question is what should I do with the 308 when I'm not using the suppressor. Just put a thread protector on it or put on a muzzle device (I have six different ones to chose from)? If I use a muzzle device I'll need to crank it down so every time I want to use the suppressor I need to go back to the vise and take it off. Are there other options other than buying another can?
    Does the rear plate/mount of the Sandman Ti come off? If so, there may be options for a flash hider/quick detach mount for the suppressor. Then you just need to purchase the proper back plate and 2 QD mounts. Otherwise I’d probably just go with thread protectors to keep it simple.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    Does the rear plate/mount of the Sandman Ti come off? If so, there may be options for a flash hider/quick detach mount for the suppressor. Then you just need to purchase the proper back plate and 2 QD mounts. Otherwise I’d probably just go with thread protectors to keep it simple.
    No it's a direct thread only. I have a Nomad 30 coming and bought a KeyMo for it and three DeadAir flash hiders for three of my 5.56 rifles. I guess I could buy a 5/8x24 DeadAir flash hide to use with the Nomad/Keymo but since the Sandman Ti is 5/8 x24 direct thread I wasn't planning to go that route. Yeah I guess that's the way to go just very limiting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Understood.
    I have a direct thread 556 can and my rimfire cans are all direct thread. One 308 can is direct thread but everything else I have options for....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Have Ecco Machine convert it to QD.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oncewas View Post
    If I use a muzzle device I'll need to crank it down so every time I want to use the suppressor I need to go back to the vise and take it off.
    Don't tighten the muzzle device that much. None of my muzzle devices require more than an open end adjustable to break loose.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Get an Area419 Hellfire Suppressor mount for the Sandman, one of their Universal Adapters for every firearm you want to use the suppressor on, then as many Hellfire Brakes or thread protectors as you need for when the suppressor isn't mounted.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    Have Ecco Machine convert it to QD.
    I'm not sure why I would do that. I mean the sandman will work with the 10.5in 300blk and the 308 both as a direct thread. I don't need to add a QD. Although it looks like they do a super job. But I'll just continue to direct thread on both. Thanks really good info.
    Last edited by oncewas; 12-16-20 at 17:44.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Don't tighten the muzzle device that much. None of my muzzle devices require more than an open end adjustable to break loose.
    I like this idea. And this is very doable. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN1957 View Post
    Get an Area419 Hellfire Suppressor mount for the Sandman, one of their Universal Adapters for every firearm you want to use the suppressor on, then as many Hellfire Brakes or thread protectors as you need for when the suppressor isn't mounted.
    Yeah they even say it's not the best device to use on direct threaded suppressor. And I have no problem with using direct thread on both the 300blk and the 308. I was just looking for a way to be able to use the guns unsuppressed when I have the suppressor on the other gun. But thanks.