Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Short stroking caused by BCG

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Short stroking caused by BCG

I have a new 14.5” mid length upper that won’t lock back on the last round with a new Toolcraft BCG. I’ve tested it with multiple ammo types, mags, buffer weights, buffer springs, and BCGs, and concluded that the Toolcraft BCG is indeed the culprit. However, the carrier key doesn’t look or feel loose and is staked properly, and the bolt gas rings appear in good order and fit snugly inside the carrier. I’ve never had this issue before and am just curious on what specifically about the BCG could be creating this issue.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I had a similar issue with a triarc not long ago, narrowed it down to the bolt itself, I replaced the extractor and ejector springs and it still short stroked, swapped it with a colt bolt and it’s ran like a top ever since from 77gr all the way to wolf, not sure exactly what my issue was either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Does the bolt move freely in the carrier? Does the BCG move freely in the receiver?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Does the bolt move freely in the carrier? Does the BCG move freely in the receiver?
    Yes, everything feels normal in that regard. I should also note that it’s a NiB coated carrier, and well lubed.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Do you have another AR you can try the suspect BCG in?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    This can occur with barrels that are very conservatively gassed or setup for mixed suppressed use.

The actual issue is the BCG is out of spec, usually in the bolt tail interface or gas key bore.

This causes extra gas leakage and reduced cycling power.

Non mil-spec coatings are a yellow flag in this case and often contribute to improper finished dimensions.

"Value"' priced commercial only BCG suppliers tend not to do a good job holding these critical dimensions with any sort of regularity.

The same leaky BCG may tend to run without apparent issue in a common overgassed barrel. This doesnt mean all is good, but a case of one issue masking another.

Swap the BCG for a high quality actual mil-spec unit and the upper will likely run fine.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    This can occur with barrels that are very conservatively gassed or setup for mixed suppressed use.

The actual issue is the BCG is out of spec, usually in the bolt tail interface or gas key bore.

Non mil-spec coatings are a yellow flag in this case and often contribute to improper finished dimensions.

"Value"' priced commercial only BCG suppliers tend not to do a good job holding these critical dimensions with any sort of regularity.

The same leaky BCG may tend to run without apparent issue in a common overgassed barrel. This doesnt mean all is good, but a case of one issue masking another.

Swap the BCG for a high quality actual mil-spec unit and the upper will likely run fine.
    I had this exact issue with a buddy. His S&W Sport was magically cured when the bcg was replaced. He tried new extractor springs, gas rings, etc.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I helped a buddy fix a rifle recently that had this problem. In his case it was the carrier key. It didn’t feel loose, but one of the screws tightened easily when tested lightly with a hex key. I replaced the key and screws and used sealant and it ran.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    Do you have another AR you can try the suspect BCG in?
    Yes it ran fine in one other AR that I tested it in, but that AR is just gassed higher, so it doesn’t really prove anything. The fact that another BCG cycles properly in the 14.5” upper, is a sure sign that it’s the BCG.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast