Thread: Does anyone cast conical bullets and/or powder coat for muzzle loading?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Does anyone cast conical bullets and/or powder coat for muzzle loading?

In particular the Lee REAL or Lee Minie molds? Seems like powder coat would be fine for muzzle loading, but I assume someone has went first and learned of any upsides. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Should have been downsides to PC bullets for muzzle loading.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 12-17-20 at 07:49. Reason: Should have been downsides to PC bullets for muzzle loading.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    In particular the Lee REAL or Lee Minie molds? Seems like powder coat would be fine for muzzle loading, but I assume someone has went first and learned of any upsides. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
    PC works to keep lead at bay, but you still have to lube to keep the black powder soft.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    PC works to keep lead at bay, but you still have to lube to keep the black powder soft.
    Never lubed sabots(T/C XTP & Cheap Shots) and that hasn't seemed to be a huge deal. Not a scientific measurement, but to my feel the effort required to load stabilizes at 3 to 4 rounds. I just started brushing the bore between shots so that seems to negate the fouling and a more or less clean bore poi is going to be the more important hunting norm anyway.

Rolling my own sabots with semi cast wad cutters is also an option.