View Poll Results: Which way will .30-06 prices go, looking ahead?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • They will stay about where they are, currently.

9 31.03%
  • They will come down, next year.

13 44.83%
  • They will only keep going up, way up.

4 13.79%
  • I’m not sure/just don’t know.

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the future of .30-06?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question What is the future of .30-06?

Asking because I’m considering selling my 03A3. I don’t really want to, but ammo prices are driving me to it.

I have around 1100 rounds for it but with cartridges running $1.50 - $2.00 each, I can’t afford to replace what I shoot. I can’t find much around here at all, lately, so I’ve stopped shooting it. J&G is out, SGAmmo is out. Cans of 150 grain Prvi are selling for $650-$800 online (auctions).

I’m thinking a better course of action is to sell while prices are elevated, and use the pesos to acquire more 5.56, 9mm, and 12 gauge.

The milsurp niche would be filled by a K98 and a Finn M27. Ammo for the M27 is much more available and somewhat cheaper than .30-06 here in central AZ. Plus I have several thousand rounds of it.

I do like that 03A3, though, so it’s hard...
    Last edited by Buncheong; 12-16-20 at 23:23.
    ”New levels of dissimulation being reached for - and gained – in the faux journalism/gov spokesmen/shadowy ‘intelligence’ nexus which blends together the worst elements of controlled medias, puppet governments, & mafia-led ‘security’ forces, as our ‘post-reality’ era jets further and further away from any remotely real ‘events,’ authentic ‘leaders,’ & factual reporting.”

~ Yuno

"The future is bright, mostly because flames are on the horizon."

~ Author unknown

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I wouldn't be getting rid of ANYTHING at the moment, personally.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I expect 7.62x54R will run out at some point too.

Have you looked in to reloading and specifically casting? I haven't tried casting rifle bullets yet due to the need to experiment with loading vs component availability, but large rifle primers do occasionally pop up.

Good article on casting with a Springfield as one of the main subjects. Powder coating is now a thing too so the gas check and velocity restrictions can really be ignored.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Rifles-Article
    Last edited by jsbhike; 12-17-20 at 16:24.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HELL NO.
    I see '06 at WalMart ALL the time. It aint going anywhere.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Asking because I’m considering selling my 03A3. I don’t really want to, but ammo prices are driving me to it.

I have around 1100 rounds for it but with cartridges running $1.50 - $2.00 each, I can’t afford to replace what I shoot. I can’t find much around here at all, lately, so I’ve stopped shooting it. J&G is out, SGAmmo is out. Cans of 150 grain Prvi are selling for $650-$800 online (auctions).

I’m thinking a better course of action is to sell while prices are elevated, and use the pesos to acquire more 5.56, 9mm, and 12 gauge.

The milsurp niche would be filled by a K98 and a Finn M27. Ammo for the M27 is much more available and somewhat cheaper than .30-06 here in central AZ. Plus I have several thousand rounds of it.

I do like that 03A3, though, so it’s hard...
    I love Finn mosins. My M28 shoot is buttery smooth, I'd love to get my hands on an M27. But the M39 is the crown jewel

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MikhailBarracuda91; 12-17-20 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Going the wrong way, bro. Like 5.56 and 9mm are available and cheaper???

30/06 is regularly showing up in sporting ammo. Unlikeany of the pseudo tactical calibers including 308.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you shoot 30-06 that often? I shoot it too but 1100 rounds would last me till 2041

Sold my M39 recently. Not because of ammo prices but because the stupid money they're bringing recently. For $1k mine didn't last an hour on GB and I probably could have gotten another $500 and still sold within the hour.

Next I may be putting up my pre 64 Win94 and near mint S&W 66. Again, stupid money!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As surplus 30-06 dries up, the prices will go up. Remington 30-06 180g JSP was selling for $17.97 per 20 rounds at Walmart one
    month ago. I haven't been to Walmart since. I expect prices for 150g FMJ of any manufacturer to go up due to the increased demand for raw materials used to make ammunition.
    Last edited by T2C; 12-17-20 at 16:43.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Do you shoot 30-06 that often? I shoot it too but 1100 rounds would last me till 2041

Sold my M39 recently. Not because of ammo prices but because the stupid money they're bringing recently. For $1k mine didn't last an hour on GB and I probably could have gotten another $500 and still sold within the hour.

Next I may be putting up my pre 64 Win94 and near mint S&W 66. Again, stupid money!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Not too often, no. Maybe every other month or so, 200-300 rounds per range trip.

The crazy prices you cite are an influence on my thinking, it’s true.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    Going the wrong way, bro. Like 5.56 and 9mm are available and cheaper???

30/06 is regularly showing up in sporting ammo. Unlikeany of the pseudo tactical calibers including 308.
    You may very well be correct. Restoring a depleted stash a few years from now - well, being unable to, that is - got me thinking along the lines that I do.

You make excellent points.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast