View Poll Results: Which way will .30-06 prices go, looking ahead?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • They will stay about where they are, currently.

9 31.03%
  • They will come down, next year.

13 44.83%
  • They will only keep going up, way up.

4 13.79%
  • I’m not sure/just don’t know.

3 10.34%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the future of .30-06?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    HELL NO.
    I see '06 at WalMart ALL the time. It aint going anywhere.
    I concur. The round is going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    ... sadly I’m not shooting either because I don’t want to shoot stuff I can’t replace.
    Sounds like your perspective is too short term.

By the same short term logic, I shouldn't drink any of the beer in my 'fridge, because I'm not going to replace it today... Of course, I'll just go buy another case next week or next month, and I certainly won't run out of beer before then.

FWIW, I think of my ammo stockpile in five-year increments. Sure, I've been mostly running down my inventory since I brought home a load of ammo from Colorado in January 2019, but I'll just go buy more in 2021 or '22 or '23, and I'm sure as hell not going to run out of anything before then.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

By the same short term logic, I shouldn't drink any of the beer in my 'fridge, because I'm not going to replace it today... Of course, I'll just go buy another case next week or next month, and I certainly won't run out of beer before then.

FWIW, I think of my ammo stockpile in five-year increments. Sure, I've been mostly running down my inventory since I brought home a load of ammo from Colorado in January 2019, but I'll just go buy more in 2021 or '22 or '23, and I'm sure as hell not going to run out of anything before then.
    A case of beer next week won't cost 100x more. Paying $150 for a case of 9 vs paying $600 +/-.

Personally, my perspective isn't short or long term. It's based more on economics and debt. Some people can light cigars with $100 bills, some cant

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    A case of beer next week won't cost 100x more. Paying $150 for a case of 9 vs paying $600 +/-...

Some people can light cigars with $100 bills, some can't...
    I think we're on the same page.

I could run over to the local mini-mart and pay $2.50 to replace each bottle of beer when I drink one... That would not be economical.

Instead, I pick up a case (at less than $1/bottle) whenever I'm at Costco.

The same with ammo... When the prices are down (as they still were less than a year ago), I stock up. When prices skyrocket, I don't buy.

Feedback Score

I didn’t have as much stockpile as I’d like in my favorite pistol calibers and had shot quite a bit in 2019. So I’m a bit short on loaded 9X19 and component bullets to reload my brass. I’m good on other stuff though. Probably time to bust out the wheel guns and burn some ammo.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think we're on the same page.

I could run over to the local mini-mart and pay $2.50 to replace each bottle of beer when I drink one... That would not be economical.

Instead, I pick up a case (at less than $1/bottle) whenever I'm at Costco.

The same with ammo... When the prices are down (as they still were less than a year ago), I stock up. When prices skyrocket, I don't buy.
    Unfortunately, there are many shooters that can never save enough etc...to buy the ammo they would really like to shoot. Whether ammo is $150 a case or $600, if they don't have the $150, it doesn't matter how cheap it is.....

I've been very fortunate to be able to buy as much ammo pretty much as I wanted to when it was cheap. I bought South African 5.56 and .308 literally by the pallet load in the early 2000's. It was cheap....but I still spent well over $15k at the time. Which is why I was still shooting it until I ran out of the 5.56 just a few years ago, still have quite a bit of .308- bought a bunch of Portugese FNM and Hirtenberger and even Radway Green around the same time, also cheap..... But, there are lots of folks that don't have $15k to spend on ammo...EVER.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Unfortunately, there are many shooters that can never save enough etc...to buy the ammo they would really like to shoot. Whether ammo is $150 a case or $600, if they don't have the $150, it doesn't matter how cheap it is...
    Agreed... It reminds me of the guy who shops for a new car/truck, figures out that he can afford the monthly payments and thinks he's fine, but then doesn't figure in fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration, etc.

I'm a control freak and a geek, I know, but when I buy a new gun, I try to figure in the cost of ammo (at least 5-10 years worth).

Example: I just bought my daughter a T/CR22 for $250 (a screaming deal on GunBroker). Shipping, tax, and transfer fees were almost $150. Accessories (including a half-dozen spare mags) were over $300.
    Even shooting bulk .22lr, I expect it to go through $500 in ammo (10,000rnds) in the next five years.

So, that $250 gun is really just a small fraction of a $1,200 system...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agreed... It reminds me of the guy who shops for a new car/truck, figures out that he can afford the monthly payments and thinks he's fine, but then doesn't figure in fuel, maintenance, insurance, registration, etc.

I'm a control freak and a geek, I know, but when I buy a new gun, I try to figure in the cost of ammo (at least 5-10 years worth).

Example: I just bought my daughter a T/CR22 for $250 (a screaming deal on GunBroker). Shipping, tax, and transfer fees were almost $150. Accessories (including a half-dozen spare mags) were over $300.
    Even shooting bulk .22lr, I expect it to go through $500 in ammo (10,000rnds) in the next five years.

So, that $250 gun is really just a small fraction of a $1,200 system...
    Oh God, don't EVER think about Precision Rifle as a hobby. Guys will bitch about spending $3,000 for a rifle scope (Which will retain value even 10 years from now, even if it's not the "latest and greatest" at that time) but never consider they are going to run $5,000 worth of AMMO through the gun BEFORE having to re barrel it- maybe in a different caliber......
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123