Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Section 8 tenants

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    This brings up a question...is it illegal to not rent to Section 8 people?
    Say I put an ad in the paper for a couple of houses I own, to rent. Can I put in that ad NO SECTION 8 vouchers allowed?
    You would not want to put that in the paper.

It is far easier to say, when asked (and they will, in my limited experience), “Well, we haven’t had any experience with it, but not opposed to the idea.” This is both true and not discriminatory.

We will show to anyone, we have people apply, then select the best candidate based on the application and interview (AKA showing). Anyone can apply, and some will fill one out before a showing. After “moving forward,” with the best candidate, they’re next step is paying foe the background check.

It’s not that different than hiring, or, since that is my background, I proceed very similar to how I would legally select the best employees.

Feedback Score
    It's hard enough to have rentals in a landlord friendly state. I couldn't imagine doing it in another state... I've learned the hard way to only buy vacant rentals. Screening on the front end is where it makes or breaks you. And still some get through the cracks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    How would you like it if you busted your ass to become a doctor or a lawyer so you could buy a "at the time" $500,000 house only to have the market drop and house values to become so low that some become rental properties and you end up with a section 8 crew across the street which blasts their music till 4am, literally comes out and pisses in the front yard off the porch, has half a dozen screaming "thugs in training" running all over the street all day long...all night long and with a couple older brothers who have a "substance problem" and have been knocking over the nicer houses in the neighborhood every other week. Guy actually showed a cop camera footage of them stealing his hose and a few other things and then walking back across the street with it.

Cop questioned them and they literally pulled, "wasn't me...we don't have a hose or any of that other stuff" and they never did get any of it back. Kids quickly learned to rack up stuff in his refrigerator in the garage, he tried to play "nice neighbor" and said "Hey if you kids need a cold drink just knock on the door and ask and you can have a coke or root beer", probably was they were grabbing the beer beer.

Had once instance where he was working on his car in the garage with tools everywhere and he walked out of the house back into the garage and the daughter was about 10 feet from being inside the garage and seemed really annoyed that he interfered with her plan to grab some power tools "real quick."

He endured that shit for two years. He was way nicer than he should have been. Part of his problem is he didn't want anyone to think he was racist or anything so he tried to be nice to them.
    Dindu nuffin'

Feedback Score
    The city I work for recently had their "affordable housing" apartment complex open up. It was the final phase of the build up. The rest of the neighborhood is $500k-$750k houses with no base model cars to be found in the area and very low crime. Now the property crime is up, noise complaints are up, drug and alcohol related calls and DV are up, traffic complaints are up. The only way in and out of the complex is through the neighborhood. The guys who have only worked for our affluent town don't really know how to deal with places like this. They can't put 1 and 1 together with the increase in property crime and this place opening. After the first few months, suddenly For Sale signs were popping up in front of the single family homes.

I'm normally assigned to work in our contract city, but I still make it a point to creep through the lots early in the morning as people are stirring. I learned this at my first agency which had a lot of low-income and Section 8 complexes. I'm finding warrants, stolen cars, drugs and the wanna-be gangsters coming and going. Compliance by annoyance is a thing.
    Last edited by Vandal; 12-19-20 at 16:42.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It is not discriminatory. It is still your property to do as you wish with and to rent to whomever you do or don't want to. Renters think it is their property once they sign the lease and think they can prevent the landlord from inspecting. Renters only borrow the property under agreement. Put things in your lease agreement that make it easier to keep or kick people out. Idiots don't read those but sign them anyways so that is your grounds for eviction. Police response, neighbor complaints, property damage, etc. All grounds to make eviction easier. We have professional rent dodgers in our county and have to evict them every 6-8 months as they bounce from trailer, apartment, van living. Ridiculous that they have kids who grow up thinking that this is normal and never really have any stability in their life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We have a couple of section 8 properties in the family. Never an issue or anything massively negative. Tenant screening and inspections do wonders. Also, most of the tenants were working single moms that got vouchers as a result of divorce or domestic violence. Mind you the surrounding communities lean suburban working class so that in itself influences tenant behavior.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    I believe this is pretty common with section 8 tenants. People don't have to pay for something they have no respect for it. They feel entitled and don't mind trashing the place.
    Aside from Veterans and the old people, this sums it up perfectly, I have horror stories from this "helpful progarm".

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234