Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter boots?

Feedback Score

Winter boots?

I'm looking for a pair of insulated winter boots for snowshoeing and some hiking.

I was leaning towards the Salomon Toundra Pro CS WP Boots but they have very mixed reviews here and on Salomons website.
    https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-s...ts-77283.html?

Any suggestions for something similar?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Hopefully this thread will be shorter than the 9mm versus 45acp ones.

Too many choices in the $200 budget range - those Solomon look nice. If you can eek out another $50 lots of Lowa choices. They make great boots for long miles.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm a real fan of Sorel, but Solomon and Lowa make great boots as well along with many others. Check the major retailers (REI, Backcountry, DSW, etc....) as they are always having sales especially with the pandemic.

Feedback Score
    FWIW, I've been snowshoeing in 0 °F with a pair of Salomon XA Pro GTX, Outdoor Research Expedition Crocodiles, Smartwool Ski Medium, and MSR Lightning Ascents. Worked fine for me.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just be SURE to buy oversize ones ... wear polypropylene socks and then the wool heavy socks (I only use Icelandic wool socks) over them and then size to the boot size needed. I hunted days when it was 6-8 degrees out and my feet never get cold, spent one whole day in the woods.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I got these boots primarily for ice fishing but I've hiked in them and put some miles on hunting as well. They're a little bulky for use strictly as a hiking boot but I've found I don't notice them at all once I'm out and about. They're very comfortable and warm. I've been very happy with them for 3 or 4 years now.

https://www.irishsetterboots.com/hun...gid=elktracker

Feedback Score
    $200 wasn't my max budget, that was just the style I was thinking would be best suited for deeper snow activities.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of brick and mortar stores close by that carry quality boots, REI is probably the only option in Northern Virginia.

I haven't owned Sorels in 20+ years, I remember them being warm and comfortable but are they supportive enough in the ankle area?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    I haven't owned Sorels in 20+ years, I remember them being warm and comfortable but are they supportive enough in the ankle area?
    Mine are, but with most of the online folks it's free shipping and returns, so wear them on the carpet and if you don't like them return them. That goes with any brand. Reviews are going to gauge general likability, so if you find a boot you like, google it and read all the reviews from all the online stores. Then you can narrow down your choices and make a pick at the store with the best price with best shipping/return policy.

As said above, socks are the other half of winter boots, cheapy athletic socks aren't going to add anything but sweat to the party. Get good quality wool socks.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omegajb View Post
    $200 wasn't my max budget, that was just the style I was thinking would be best suited for deeper snow activities.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of brick and mortar stores close by that carry quality boots, REI is probably the only option in Northern Virginia.

I wear Lowa Tibets in the winter, along with Outdoor Research Crocodile gaiters. Very warm and durable. They are also extremely supportive for the ankles. These are also my backpack hunting boots so ankle support is a prime consideration for me.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Danner Arctic 600 Side-Zip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast