Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Libertarians my friend??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Are christians my friend?

So let me judge them all by because some of them espoused some ridiculous nonsense. That's like me letting the RINOs define the Republican party and conservatives.
    Excellent post.

I retired from church attendance forever owing to extremism and congregational subculture.

My best Christian buddy is a barber who did time in the state pen for attempted murder prior to choosing Jesus Christ as Lord. He’s the greatest Christian man I know, but today’s wild-eyed evangelical zealots wouldn’t give him the time of day.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Libertarianism is a shield for anti-social assholes to use as cover. We get a lot, or had a lot more, of that here in CO when you could kind of be off on your own. State is getting too crowded for that now. Ironically, because of the early adoption of legal weed. Legal weed is part of the explosion in population, which makes Libertarian ideals harder to put in place.

I am a Law and Order Libertarian. I think there should be the least and the most tightly crafted laws that encumber the govt and not the people. That said, follow the damn laws. To many 'Libertarians' are just people that don't want to follow the law, any law. No Beuno. That is where the A-hole angle comes in.

On the idea of L changing current politics, you can't replace something with nothing, or at least overnight. Maybe if the debt gets to a point where things have to radically change, you could get people to agree more to L principles because the free-spending/no-limits govt style issues are clear and that going forward we have to change. Getting people to give up Soc Sec, welfare, the education state, and mil-ind complex is too much in one fell swoop.
    This is pretty much my stance. Also, I have a lot of the problems with L economics. Like you said, they want everything gone in one fell swoop, but they forget that there are in fact a lot of people on the government assistance who actually need it, would do anything to get off it, and don't actually have the opportunity. Simply assuming that anybody down on their luck deserves it is pretty out of touch with reality. Telling the poor and desperate "Oh f**king well, your problems are not my problems. Sucks to suck," isn't a winning strategy.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I always thought I was firebreathing hard right, but on that grid I'm just two clicks low and three clicks right.
    Sometimes those surveys have a bit of inherent bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Sometimes those surveys have a bit of inherent bias.

I routinely get results on those type of quizzes that place me as much more conservative than I feel that I am.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Are christians my friend?

So let me judge them all by because some of them espoused some ridiculous nonsense. That's like me letting the RINOs define the Republican party and conservatives.

Very disapointed with the CATO institute. I would say at this time the Cato Institute is not a friend of individual freedom. Btw, thanks for flying that story, I just changed my Amazon smile benefit from the Cato Institute to another recipient.
    Well said yup. Cato jumped the shark.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Libertarianism is a shield for anti-social assholes to use as cover. We get a lot, or had a lot more, of that here in CO when you could kind of be off on your own. State is getting too crowded for that now. Ironically, because of the early adoption of legal weed. Legal weed is part of the explosion in population, which makes Libertarian ideals harder to put in place.

I am a Law and Order Libertarian. I think there should be the least and the most tightly crafted laws that encumber the govt and not the people. That said, follow the damn laws. To many 'Libertarians' are just people that don't want to follow the law, any law. No Beuno. That is where the A-hole angle comes in.

On the idea of L changing current politics, you can't replace something with nothing, or at least overnight. Maybe if the debt gets to a point where things have to radically change, you could get people to agree more to L principles because the free-spending/no-limits govt style issues are clear and that going forward we have to change. Getting people to give up Soc Sec, welfare, the education state, and mil-ind complex is too much in one fell swoop.
    What we have had, have now, and likely always will have, is law and order.

It's why elites and their minions are effectively exempt from laws so long as they don't tread on someone further up the ladder than the ring they are on.

That's why there is such zeal to violate the rights of peons. A person may have hit a glass ceiling on their privilege level(which is far greater than anything that can be considered a "right" since they are basically free to harm those beneath them) so the only way to increase the value of what they have is by stripping away "rights" of those beneath them.

Rule of law would be adhering to the Constitution as it was originally presented, although I don't think most of the founders intended it to limit them or their successors since there are no penalties for violating their own rules. Debates to violate the constitutional contract, including a legislature discussing a gun ban or other infringement, should have been viewed and handled the same as 2 or more people discussing a bank robbery or any other crime.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buncheong View Post
    Excellent post.

I retired from church attendance forever owing to extremism and congregational subculture.

My best Christian buddy is a barber who did time in the state pen for attempted murder prior to choosing Jesus Christ as Lord. He’s the greatest Christian man I know, but today’s wild-eyed evangelical zealots wouldn’t give him the time of day.
    Much like my experience;
    If I heard one more word about what a great guy Mitt Romney is I would have lost my civil tongue.
    Well, that and the hypocrisy of my ex wife when it came to religion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    I routinely get results on those type of quizzes that place me as much more conservative than I feel that I am.
    Typically, people are placed much more left than they are. So maybe you’re an ultra conservative and you didn’t know it.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Much like my experience;
    If I heard one more word about what a great guy Mitt Romney is I would have lost my civil tongue.
    Well, that and the hypocrisy of my ex wife when it came to religion.
    Wait, people consider Romney a Christian? I would barely consider him a Mormon let alone.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Going from the Left/Right to the 3D or 4 quadrant political chart is a good start. The horseshoe or circle is even more eye opening.

Take the L/R line and bend it into a circle or horseshoe, the two extremes are closer to each other and furthest from the center.

Big L is closer to anarchy and thus antifa on many things, they only really share smaller gov with conservatives.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast