Thread: "45 Science" Success. Created from Shotgun Shell.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

"45 Science" Success. Created from Shotgun Shell.

The current ammo situation created a hypothetical thought that has snuck its way into the real world.

12 gauge birdshot is available by the truckload. What else can be done with it other than the 'cut shells' or loading a hull with random bits approach?

Well.....You create a .45 ACP load from it. I disassembled a handful of shells for the components.

Question #1: Will a handgun be able to set off the 209 primer?

I drilled out the .45 cases to accept the primer.

Went 3 for 3 with a G21.

Question #2: How does a 209 compare to a large pistol primer?

This is where the official science starts.

A rubber plug with a standard primer shot through 7 USPSA targets sandwiched together and bounced off of my garage door.

A modified case with a 209 primer shot the same rubber plug through the 7 targets and embedded nose first into my garage door insulation. 209 primer is obviously 'hotter'.

Question #3: Can a usable projectile be made that isn't as gay as 8 shot?

I don't have any casting specific tools. A quick internet search showed all .45 acp molds are out of stock...Go figure. My heroin spoon with 230 grains of 8 shot melted quickly and I poured it into a wood mold. Projectile is ugly but it would be functional.

Question #4 (Begin of the Danger Zone Science Path) What Powder Charge? I am currently stopped at this point.

Comparing the average powder weight, the advertised velocity, the look and the taste I've come to the conclusion that I'm 54% confident in what the general burn rate of the powder is.

I don't mind getting a squib and going up from there. Will probably start in the 3 grain range.

So.... regale me of stories of when 'so and so' tried this or offer suggestions of not trying this. However, I think we'll be all right as long as velocity/pressure is kept low (650-700 fps'ish)

Update:
    Success! Just fine tuning from here.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 01-01-21 at 01:48.