Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "45 Science" Success. Created from Shotgun Shell.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

"45 Science" Success. Created from Shotgun Shell.

The current ammo situation created a hypothetical thought that has snuck its way into the real world.

12 gauge birdshot is available by the truckload. What else can be done with it other than the 'cut shells' or loading a hull with random bits approach?

Well.....You create a .45 ACP load from it. I disassembled a handful of shells for the components.

Question #1: Will a handgun be able to set off the 209 primer?

I drilled out the .45 cases to accept the primer.

Went 3 for 3 with a G21.

Question #2: How does a 209 compare to a large pistol primer?

This is where the official science starts.

A rubber plug with a standard primer shot through 7 USPSA targets sandwiched together and bounced off of my garage door.

A modified case with a 209 primer shot the same rubber plug through the 7 targets and embedded nose first into my garage door insulation. 209 primer is obviously 'hotter'.

Question #3: Can a usable projectile be made that isn't as gay as 8 shot?

I don't have any casting specific tools. A quick internet search showed all .45 acp molds are out of stock...Go figure. My heroin spoon with 230 grains of 8 shot melted quickly and I poured it into a wood mold. Projectile is ugly but it would be functional.

Question #4 (Begin of the Danger Zone Science Path) What Powder Charge? I am currently stopped at this point.

Comparing the average powder weight, the advertised velocity, the look and the taste I've come to the conclusion that I'm 54% confident in what the general burn rate of the powder is.

I don't mind getting a squib and going up from there. Will probably start in the 3 grain range.

So.... regale me of stories of when 'so and so' tried this or offer suggestions of not trying this. However, I think we'll be all right as long as velocity/pressure is kept low (650-700 fps'ish)

Update:
    Success! Just fine tuning from here.
    Last edited by Leaveammoforme; 01-01-21 at 01:48.

Feedback Score
    This is the kind of content I want

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This is gold. Reminds me a bit of when I was loading mouse fart loads for my mini-14, I'd load lead round ball over a couple grains of unique....very quiet, but I gave up chasing accuracy. Pistol caliber seems like a better fit for this kind of "wildcatting".

In regards to the powder charge, .45 230gr ball ammo was 5gr of Bullseye, if I remember correctly. Not sure if the shotgun primer would affect the required charge.
    Last edited by CrowCommand; 12-20-20 at 05:41.

Feedback Score
    While it is a lot of work to drill out the primer pockets, it is certainly feasible. You could always melt down the shot and recast. Powder in many shotgun shells is similar burn rate to .45 ACP powder, albeit perhaps a little dirty. My good friend actually loads his .45 ACP with Clays Universal and swears by it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Cool... It sounds like you have too much free time.

I doubt the economics: Round here, cheap birdshot is ≈25¢/round. I think you could've (should've) stockpiled factory .45AARP for about that before March. Once things go back to normal, .45 should cost much more than 25¢, should it?

Otherwise, it sounds like you're going about this pretty safely. Work up from potential squib loads, and then more and more until you can get your action to cycle.

Watch for leading in the bore!

Somebody else said: Shotgun powder and pistol powder are basically the same... I load .380ACP, .40S&W, and .30 Mauser with Unique.

Are you drilling out the primer pockets just to fit shotgun primers? Or are you drilling out the flash holes, too?

Rather than casting your own .45 bullets, you might just make round shot.

Alternatively, visit your local trap&skeet club and offer to trade those guys the birdshot for .45AARP cartridges, or at least projectiles, or at least the loan of a mold.

How are you removing live primers from shotgun shells? That would worry me...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This is totally a "Can it be done?" project. I'm not looking to save money or produce 1000's of these. I have more than enough actual .45 ammo. I chose .45 for this experiment due to the large case (can accommodate the larger primer diameter while having some web left) and low operating pressure. Just trying to answer a question that has been bugging the crap out of me.

I'm curious to see if the snout/flash hole of the 209 primer being extended beyond the web will cause any ignition issues. I would think that a situation where the primer alone starts projectile movement before the powder lights could be an issue. I would assume a heavy crimp should prevent any projectile jump.

I drilled the flash holes of the .45 cases with a 15/64th bit. Then I hit them with a 5/16th for about .020". This allows the 209 to sit correctly in the case.

This is the current hang up. I need a mould so I can produce uniform projectiles. I have an hour in this one ugly bastard projectile. I sized it by repeatedly ramming it into a case with a .452 ID.

Drum roll.....I present to you... the .45 Science.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I need a mould so I can produce uniform projectiles...
    That should NOT be that hard to source.

They're on eBay for $50-75.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    That should NOT be that hard to source.

They're on eBay for $50-75.
    Lee 6 cavity 9mm and .45 molds that were app. $60 with handles new often sell for just under $200 used now and eta for new production molds is fairly far out.

This shop has nice molds that tend to be in stock.

https://www.mp-molds.com/bullet-casting-equipment/

Delivery back in September was about 2 weeks.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 12-20-20 at 19:30.

Feedback Score
    Yeah you could also back order one, or order a custom mold.

Casting stuff is still out there because it’s specialized.

After all this nonsense dies down I think I’m going to get back into shooting revolvers more regularly and I plan to start casting my own bullets. So equipment is going to be acquired to cast .358, .430, .452, and .454 bullets along with a swaging press that also applies lube. Might look into how to apply gas checks as well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast