Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: "45 Science" Success. Created from Shotgun Shell.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Over coffee this morning, I remembered an experiment from my youth that might be informative...

Back in the 90's when I was younger and dumber, I decided to see for myself what WD40 did to primers. I put about a dozen 209's (Federal, probably, but I don't remember specifically) into a small container and submerged them in WD40.

After several days (maybe a week), it was time to test them. Since I was lazy, and expecting them to all be dead, I decided to skip loading them in shells and potentially dirtying the ol' H&R break-action. I put them on a brick one at a time and smashed them with a framing hammer. Oh, no ear or eye pro either. I was young and it was for science!

They all detonated.
    Last edited by kerplode; 01-07-21 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Thanks for all the primer info everyone. I got excited and got ahead of myself.

At least two complete 45's can be loaded from the components of one shotgun shell if a primer solution can be found. Whether a primer be created from the shells' compound or the match head solution suggested earlier. Solving the primer issue would remove the work required to adapt the .45 cases to the 209, remove the pressure spike, seemingly allow brass to last longer and allow a safer/more traditional load work up process.

Off to the lab.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456