Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "45 Science" Success. Created from Shotgun Shell.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Nice balls .

Try some Bullseye powder....That's my go-to for .45, I'm running 4.8 gr for a 230grn coated lead round nose from missouri bullet

Science is real.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    How are you seating the round balls? Basic seating die?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    Nice balls .

Try some Bullseye powder....That's my go-to for .45, I'm running 4.8 gr for a 230grn coated lead round nose from missouri bullet

Science is real. How are you seating the round balls? Basic seating die?
    The idea is to use only components pillaged from a shotgun shell. Minus the .45 case of course. I used some traditional powders just so I'd have something to compare. I'm using a regular seating die for the balls. Don't know if that's right or wrong but it works fine.

I've been thinking on the mid-case .004" bulge. I'm leaning towards the 209 primer creating a localized pressure spike between the flash hole and the projectile. Possibly before the powder ignites.

The cases resized fine and I didn't notice any change in the amount of force required to remove or replace the 209 primers. I loaded the 5 cases again with some changes;

-COAL from 1.100" to 1.115"

There's only a little seating depth length to play with due to being a round ball. I believe perfect center on the ball (with my case length) would be a 1.117" COAL but I'd have to check my numbers. I originally thought being deeper than center would help prevent possible hang fires. But, the extra resistance now seems unnecessary and some extra distance between the flash hole and projectile seems beneficial.

-Powder from 4.0 to 4.4 grains

Now featuring 10% more Danger Science. Thought here is to try and get the main powder charge lit sooner. The 4.0's did self extract but aren't near being ejected yet.

-Crimp unchanged at 0.469"

I feel this is correct. I may go .470" but I don't see any gain from a looser crimp. I'm using this as a way to the resize the ball from .454" a tad.

I'll load up a few more different varieties and head back to the range in a few days.

Attention Lurking Starline Representative:

Recent science has proven it is possible to load a .45 case using only components from a shotgun shell. All that's required is a gentlemen's nod if you wish to build some beefed up 45 Science cases.

*Slams down Science Gavel*

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    Attention Lurking Starline Representative:

Recent science has proven it is possible to load a .45 case using only components from a shotgun shell. All that's required is a gentlemen's nod if you wish to build some beefed up 45 Science cases.

*Slams down Science Gavel*

Curious how close you can get to real 45ACP velocities before that brass you honked out craps the bed.

You drilled the crap out of the part that Starline ADDS meat to on their strengthened 45 based cases thus making the brass weaker...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
    Curious how close you can get to real 45ACP velocities before that brass you honked out craps the bed.

You drilled the crap out of the part that Starline ADDS meat to on their strengthened 45 based cases thus making the brass weaker...
    I bet he can take this pretty far... My vague sense of physics is that pressures will rise much slower than velocities, and only really increase significantly at close to normal .45ACP velocities (say, within 100fps).

Those light balls, too, will start moving fast and help reduce pressures.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    He just said your balls were light, lol.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DG23 View Post

I'm concerned about the brass as well. I don't necessarily need the brass to be reloadable but a case failure during firing would be an issue.

I cut down a few .308 cases to .892". Drilled to accept 209 primers. The web thickness allows the primer to almost sit flush with the web inside the case. The additional wall thickness is a bonus but the mouth portion of the cases will need to be reamed to accept .45 caliber projectiles.

This would be a Monday morning before coffee type of job for the fine folks at Starline

I tried flaring the cases but the wall thickness at the mouth will need addressed. These cases change the projectiles into little, funny tasting acorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I bet he can take this pretty far... My vague sense of physics is that pressures will rise much slower than velocities, and only really increase significantly at close to normal .45ACP velocities (say, within 100fps).

Disclaimer;

I'm not a ballastictechnicianguruexternalballisticsavant who has studied the lost mathematics of off world civilizations in a vacuum however my train of thought matches yours.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowCommand View Post
    He just said your balls were light, lol.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I hope everyone reading this thread realizes this is a VERY bad idea. Any 45 ACP pistol has relatively thin chamber/barrel walls because the 45 ACP is by nature a low pressure cartridge. He is using an unknown but relatively fast powder and working up loads using a non-standard bullet weight with a shotgun primer. Even using a chronograph would be no help because there are no baseline velocity numbers for a 140 grain bullet in a .45 ACP.

If the OP really wants to be known as Captain Hook for the rest of his life, so be it, I truly hope no one else hops on this train to crazy town

Load development using correct powder, primers, and projectiles is not a simple process. Doing it when all three are unknowns is just stupid.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post

Just the opposite; pressure rises much much faster than velocity for these reasons:
    1. Powder burns very progressively, meaning that the burn rate increases exponentially with pressure.
    2. Before a projectile begins moving it has to overcome static friction, which is always greater than dynamic friction.
    3. The projectile material must be reformed under pressure to fit the leade and then lands and grooves of the barrel rifling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast