Thread: First scratch build .308

Feedback Score

First scratch build .308

Just before Thanksgiving I got the wild idea to add a .308 to my modest collection of MSR. It took a lot of effort to gather up all the parts and pieces but even with the massive nationwide shortage of parts, I was able to get it done. The only missing part is the charging handle, which should show up mid week according to tracking info. The knowledge shared in this forum was super helpful and everything went together without a hitch. With any luck I will be able to get it dialed in before it turns brutally cold here in Minnesota.

Anyway, here's my parts list. Grand total without an optic is $1705

Aero Precision Stripped AR-308 Lower Receiver - M5 - DPMS Cut
    M5 .308 Lower Parts Kit, Minus FCG/Pistol Grip
    ALG Defense ACT Advanced Combat Trigger
    Radian Weapons Talon Ambidextrous Selector Kit - 45/90 Throw - Black
    Aero Precision Stripped AR-308 Upper Receiver
    Aero Precision Nickel Boron BCG 308
    Wilson Combat Barrel, .308 WIN, Recon, 16 in, Fluted, Threaded, 1-11.25 Twist
    Wilson Combat Gas Block, Lo-Profile, Black
    Wilson Combat Gas Tube, Intermediate Length
    VG6 Epsilon Compensator
    Aero Precision AR-15 Forward Assist Assembly
    Aero Precision AR-308 Ejection Port Cover Kit
    Raptor Ambidextrous Charging Handle -7.62-BLK
    SLR Rifleworks Helix Handguard 13.5" & Barrel Nut
    M5 .308 Carbine Buffer Kit
    Magpul ACS Stock
    Magpul MOE+ Grip
    BCM M-LOK Rail Mount QD Socket
    Warne Gen 2 Extended MSR Mount
    Swampfox Arrowhead 1-8x24 with a BDC reticle
    Magpul Mlok Type 2 Rail Covers
    Last edited by Black_Sheep; 01-26-21 at 13:31.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Nice list, I think that Aero tends to do well for the DIY larger caliber AR.

I settled on the Aero Precision as the basis for my 6.5 Creedmoor antelope gun. I got a stupid deal on a 24" Criterion barrel, and am waiting for the Form 4 to come back on the can.

I'm probably going to use the NightForce SHV for the glass. I will be interesting in your thoughts on the SwampFox.

Feedback Score
    I ordered up the Swampfox and it showed up on Christmas eve. I got it mocked up enough to mount it on the rifle. My first impression is positive, it's bright and crystal clear. The illuminated reticle is also bright, even with the sunshine on fresh snow that we had today. Changing magnification takes minimal effort and the included throw lever is a nice piece. I've always run a RDS so this is uncharted territory for me, I think I'm going to like it...
    Last edited by Black_Sheep; 01-21-21 at 20:37.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You did yourself a major favor by going with all Aero parts for the working components of the rifle. They will positively play well together. SO many people build a frankenrifle 308 AR from assorted parts and end up with a rifle that doesn't work for one reason or another. With no Milspec for 308 ARs, tolerance stacking can bite you in the butt fast with these large frame guns.

Feedback Score
    I hope you’re right dpete. I did a lot of homework before ordering components, hoping to avoid mismatched parts and the resulting lack of functionality that many novice builders have experienced. We’ll find out once I get it to the range...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
    I hope you’re right dpete. I did a lot of homework before ordering components, hoping to avoid mismatched parts and the resulting lack of functionality that many novice builders have experienced. We’ll find out once I get it to the range...
    He is right. I built an AR.308 a couple years ago and used Aero upper/lower combo and BCG. The only issue I had was my rifle being over-gassed, but an AGB, H3 buffer and springco heavy spring solved it into a very nice shooter.

Feedback Score
    Just an added note, the Raptor CH showed up so the build is completely finished. Out of curiosity I weighed it last night, without a mag it tipped the scale at 9.8 pounds.