Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short stroking question

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkstr8 View Post
    I'm not easily keeping track of what you've changed around.

Have you tried dropping butting in a heavier buffer (I hate the Super 42 ftw). Check the gas tube for damage?
    The change was the BCG and receiver and at first I didn't seal the tube in the block.

I don't see any damage on the tube.

What don't you like about that buffer? I have a carbine buffer on the way to try, but is that just going to mask a real problem?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It’s not the buffer, it’s the extra power spring some have problems with.

Clearly you changed the BCG and then had failures. Start there. Pretty much always start there, having a known good BCG is key to troubleshooting. Check for any binding in the upper and gas tube alignment as well.

Sealing gas blocks or gas tubes is not a real thing, the tolerance on those parts are among the tightest of anything on an AR. The gas will blow out locktite anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post

Sealing gas blocks or gas tubes is not a real thing, the tolerance on those parts are among the tightest of anything on an AR. The gas will blow out locktite anyway.
    Sealant is actually worse than no sealant because not only are you not contributing sealing, you’re introducing the possibility of crud getting into your gas system that may be counterproductive.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is the first I'm hearing about sealing gas tubes. Never done it, never heard of it, never had any problems. If you've ever tried to remove one that's well used, you know how self sealing they truly are. After a few thousand rounds they become one with the gas block, and it takes soaking in solvents to ever get them out again.

My best guess would be it's the BCG. Is the gas key on tight? Are there gas rings on the bolt tail?

Are you seeing any strange wear patterns in the upper receiver?

It might help if you posted some pics of the BCG and inside of the upper receiver.

ETA: Something else to check would be making sure the gas system is clear of obstructions. Plug up the chamber and blow into the barrel (preferably with a plastic tube), and see if you feel a strong jet of air on your index finger coming from the gas tube. Then take apart the BCG and blow into the gas key. Sometimes stuff likes to get down in there. Could even be something from the factory like a chip that went down in there. Speaking of which, did you buy this stuff new or used?
    Last edited by okie; 12-29-20 at 23:25.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Im at the range now shooting 1 round per mag. About 40 cycles in and it locks back every time and elects about 4:00

All i did was pull the tube from the gas block and seal it. I have no explanation.
    Last edited by Swstock; 12-30-20 at 13:05.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    Im at the range now shooting 1 round per mag. About 40 cycles in and it locks back every time and elects about 4:00

All i did was pull the tube from the gas block and seal it. I have no explanation.
    Same ammo?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    Same ammo?
    Yup. Same mags too.

Maybe it was from sitting a few days and not being cleaned? I cant imagine it being that finicky.

Maybe some debris or something was just in there where it didn't belong and came out when I took it back apart.

Im stumped, but happy that its back to working reliably.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yup. Same mags too.

Maybe it was from sitting a few days and not being cleaned? I cant imagine it being that finicky.

Maybe some debris or something was just in there where it didn't belong and came out when I took it back apart.

Im stumped, but happy that its back to working reliably.
    Yea that's pretty strange. About the only thing I can figure is that there was a little burr somewhere that's worked itself out. Have you checked the inside of the upper receiver for any gouging or anything?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    No gouging, but there is obvious phosphate wear on the cam pin and possibly a nick in the receiver forward of the notch for the cam pin.
    Last edited by Swstock; 12-31-20 at 19:16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    No gouging, but there is obvious phosphate wear on the cam pin and possibly a nick in the receiver forward of the notch for the charging handle
    The nick is normal if I'm understanding you correctly, but maybe post a picture to be sure. If the charging handle is fitting weird that can definitely cause issues. At this point I would suspect some kind of compatibility issue is to blame, which is something you can run into with non milspec parts if you're mixing brands.

The phosphate can definitely cause you to have a little break in period, but it shouldn't be to the point that it's short stroking. If the rifle is so undergassed that a little phosphate stickiness can shut it down then that's too far on the edge for my taste. Especially if it was lubricated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast