Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helmet Mounted Ear Pro Advice

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)

Helmet Mounted Ear Pro Advice

Reading through some of the long Ear Pro thread and doing other research, I’ve narrowed it down a little but want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Application is ear pro for use with a helmet in shoothouse courses, shooting under nods, general preparedness, etc.

I currently have a set of Walker slim/razor or whatever they’re called as my (non-helmet) range ear pro. They seem to work pretty good and the price was hard to pass up to try. So far no complaints. However, I can’t use them under my helmet since it’s a fairly snug fit as is. That proabably goes for any other headband style ear pro.

Options for helmet use so far:

Budget option is to get another set of Walkers and get peltor Arc rail adapters to fit my helmet. Apparently the peltor adaptors fit the Walkers unless someone has info otherwise.

(Thinking budget here bc I’d hate to drop a ton of money on a one-trick pony that I won’t use as much since I don’t wear the helmet daily)

Higher tier option is a set of the Sordin Pro-X’s with Arc Rail Adapters.

Third option considered is a neckband setup...I think the Pro-X’s come in that style. I’ve just never used neckband ear-pro and don’t know if they plain suck or if any other considerations need to be made.

Last is to go with in-ear electronic ear pro, in which case I’m inclined to try the Walker Bluetooth model or the OTTO if the Walkers suck.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t just do this option over any of the others? It seems like it would be more universal and I could justify spending more since it isn’t attached to the helmet. It would also free up the ARC rail for lights, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Helmet Mounted Ear Pro Advice

I’ve never used the neckband variants but I’ve heard most people hate them.

I also hate the Sordins, I don’t know why so many people like them. The battery compartment was a giant PITA and I couldn’t tell any difference with my COMTACs so it didn’t seem like a worthwhile hassle.

I want the AMPs since just about every other model needs a permanent modification to mount on rails. But they’re expensive AF so that’s a ways down the road. That said, I’d much rather cut about Walkers or the Howard Lights before a several hundred dollar pair of Peltors while waiting to pay for some AMPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I just got a pair of Otto Noizebarrier Micros.

They have replaced non-comm headsets for me. They are truly badass, and you'll be far better suited with a pair of them than helmet dedicated ears if you aren't needing comms.

If it helps- I pulled a pair of Peltor Defender COMTACs off and will never use them again after getting the Ottos. They're that good.

I know you're asking about helmet mounted- but if you want some ear pro that's versatile and comfortable, give them a look.
    Last edited by GTF425; 12-20-20 at 15:02.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I have neckband Sordins and love them. Run them under a Team Wendy Exfil - and, more frequently, over ballcaps and repro WWII "ranger caps" - with no problem.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

They have replaced non-comm headsets for me. They are truly badass, and you'll be far better suited with a pair of them than helmet dedicated ears if you aren't needing comms.

If it helps- I pulled a pair of Peltor Defender COMTACs off and will never use them again after getting the Ottos. They're that good.

I know you're asking about helmet mounted- but if you want some ear pro that's versatile and comfortable, give them a look.
    How much have you used them? I thought I saw mixed reviews on them, though it may have been something similar from a different manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I thought I saw mixed reviews on them, though it may have been something similar from a different manufacturer.
    I'm not sure what could be negative about them, unless the silicone flanges just don't work well with your ear shape. The battery life is great, they conveniently charge themselves when stowed in their case, and the audio quality is surprisingly good with directional amplification better than the COMTACs, in my opinion.

Time will tell how they hold up, but they're pretty good to go.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

I want the AMPs since just about every other model needs a permanent modification to mount on rails. But they’re expensive AF so that’s a ways down the road. That said, I’d much rather cut about Walkers or the Howard Lights before a several hundred dollar pair of Peltors while waiting to pay for some AMPs.
    AMPs definitely seem like the latest and greatest. I don’t know if I can justify the price of them with my usage though. Agree on cutting up the cheap headsets though, that was also why I was leaning that way.

Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post

Really good to know about OTTO. The in ear options are attractive for the reasons I mentioned, but I’m wondering how they do indoors since I usually use plugs and over-ear electronic ear pro when indoors? That said, I’ll be suppressed, so it shouldn’t be too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I have neckband Sordins and love them. Run them under a Team Wendy Exfil - and, more frequently, over ballcaps and repro WWII "ranger caps" - with no problem.
    Good to hear that too, I may need to try them out before I commit. Any issues with them not getting a good seal or sliding/flopping around? Any issues with the neckband getting caught with slings and anything else?

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Good to hear that too, I may need to try them out before I commit. Any issues with them not getting a good seal or sliding/flopping around? Any issues with the neckband getting caught with slings and anything else?
    None that I can recall. Might have gotten it caught in a sling while trying to unsling (that is, "take off,") the rifle. Buuut... that wouldn't usually be an issue as I'm usually, "taking off," the rifle after I've taken off my ears.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    https://www.axladvanced.com/collecti...ducts/rac-link

Non-destructive add-on for various ear pro to use with the AMP arms. Though I guess removal of the headband and all that will require... destruction.

https://www.gastonglockstyle.com/ear-muffs-active.html for cheap MSA Supreme Pros (which have less environmental protection than the Pro-X), comes with gel cups installed, from what guys that have ordered from there have told me.
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 12-20-20 at 18:36.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    If you think there is ever a chance you'll need to run comms I would look for a set that handles that like the Comtac IIIs.

We have about 4 sets in our family's gear. Overall I've been very pleased but we have one set that I use that eats lead acid batteries big time. I went to rechargeables and the problem went away. And I can leave the rechargeables in there between weekly range trips and not worry about them crapping the bed.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast