Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot/holograph magnifiers

Feedback Score

Red dot/holograph magnifiers

So, in the LVPO thread, I asked about magnifiers for red dot/holograph sights. I don't want to derail that thread too much.

So, I was debating between the Aimpoint 3XC and the Vortex Micro3X to put behind my Aimpoint PRO. I know that there are better options out there, but I'm strapped for cash right now, so I can't be dropping $900-$1000 for the Aimpoint 3XMag or 6X (plus, I understand that only the Comp M5 and T2 are the only Aimpoints that have a crisp enough dot for the 6X). Thoughts between the 3XC and Micro3X, or any others of comparable quality and cost?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    I have used the Aimpoint, the Vortex VMX-3T and an EOTech, all in 3x. Of those three the glass clarity is best with the EOTech followed by the Aimpoint and then the Vortex but the Vortex is closer to the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint has the best eye relief followed by the Votex and then the EOTech. This can be annoying especially on a flip to side mount as you will need to readjust your cheek weld.

The EOTech and the Vortex both come with a mount with the EOTech's being very well made with a good QD system. The Aimpoint does not come with a mount. Aimpoint's new flip and twist mount is pretty slick especially if you want to move your magnifier from one rifle to another all you need is to buy another base.

I dont have any time behind the newer Vortex Micro 3X but it looks like a great option. Good price point, Vortex's awesome warranty and a good QD system to move it from gun to gun. I may need to pick one up to check it out.

I dont have any experience how they all line up with the Aimpoint pro, just with a T1, H1, and T2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    I have used the Aimpoint, the Vortex VMX-3T and an EOTech, all in 3x. Of those three the glass clarity is best with the EOTech followed by the Aimpoint and then the Vortex but the Vortex is closer to the Aimpoint. The Aimpoint has the best eye relief followed by the Votex and then the EOTech. This can be annoying especially on a flip to side mount as you will need to readjust your cheek weld.

The EOTech and the Vortex both come with a mount with the EOTech's being very well made with a good QD system. The Aimpoint does not come with a mount. Aimpoint's new flip and twist mount is pretty slick especially if you want to move your magnifier from one rifle to another all you need is to buy another base.

I dont have any time behind the newer Vortex Micro 3X but it looks like a great option. Good price point, Vortex's awesome warranty and a good QD system to move it from gun to gun. I may need to pick one up to check it out.

I dont have any experience how they all line up with the Aimpoint pro, just with a T1, H1, and T2.
    Good info! Was the Aimpoint you tried the 3XC?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    Good info! Was the Aimpoint you tried the 3XC?
    Previous version. Glass on the new version is a little better but the main advantage is it has a dioptric setting.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I haven’t messed with anything other than a T2 since they were released so hopefully this has changed but my T1 was worthless behind even the 3x G33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I haven’t messed with anything other than a T2 since they were released so hopefully this has changed but my T1 was worthless behind even the 3x G33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I heard the T2 and Comp M5 were specifically modified so that the dot was crisper in the magnifier.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    T2 works fairly well with a magnifier.

With a PRO, your going to want either an optic mount with some cantilever, or a short magnifier, or both. Remember that you have to fit BUIS, too, if used. I’ve found the Vortex Micro3x to work well with a variety of optics and mounts, including the PRO. The VMX3T was not very good in that respect, and would only play nice with certain combos.

I want to try out the newish Aimpoint magnifiers, but they’ve been out for a couple years and I still haven’t seen them in person, or found out definitively if the glass itself is different on the C model. Maybe thats a clue, dunno.

Also newish on the market is the ADM and EoTech new models, but again, I’ve seen neither. I don’t think the EoTech new models even exist yet, despite being announced a while back.

Lotsa mounts out now, too. Scalarworks, Unity Tactical, LaRue, etc.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    OK, I was going to start a new thread but I'll ask my question here instead. I am thinking about getting an EO tech and using my previously purchased Aimpoint 3X magnifier. It has the twist off mount but I want a flip to side. What would you recommend that would work well with the Eotech ? I'm thinking about the new model with the transverse battery.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's really interesting to me to see things change, change back and change again....

I've worked as an RO at one of the largest Run & Gun events in the United States, the oldest of the modern events in fact. We have 100-125 competitors each year. In the nearly 20 years the event has run I've kept a keen eye on what people were shooting, how they carried their gear, accessories etc.... The participants range from duffers to semi pro shooters.

In the early years we had lots of battle rifles with iron sights. Those went away and you rarely see anything anymore but some AR platform. You have a few weirdos that show up with their Tavors etc...but the AR is completely dominant without question. Then you had guys show up with red dot setups. They were not competitive- much of the shooting- this is far west Texas- RIFLEMANS country, was at 200 yards plus- out to 500 yards, with target detection part of the challenge. Then a few started mounting magnifiers behind their Aimpoints and Eotechs. Those quickly went away when decent LPVO's came around- the weight was a factor when you have to carry your shit for 5-7 miles over rough terrain in 100 degree plus heat....

Now, 95% of the people who show up are running an LPVO. You have a small percentage, mainly due to finances as far as I can tell (based on their overall kit) that are running irons. You will have one, maybe two guys out of 100 running a Red Dot. That has been true for about 10-12 years now. This last year, I did see a few more guys running the red dot and magnifier but I don't think it will last.

Just observations....
    Last edited by Esq.; 12-31-20 at 09:50.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Then a few started mounting magnifiers behind their Aimpoints and Eotechs. Those quickly went away when decent LPVO's came around- the weight was a factor when you have to carry your shit for 5-7 miles over rough terrain in 100 degree plus heat....
    I don’t mean to make this a LPVO vs Mag thread, since they each have their own uses and advantages, but weight is actually the magnifier’s biggest strong point. Don’t forget to include the weight of the mounts.

My heaviest dot/mount/magnifier combo is an ounce lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

My lightest dot/mount/magnifier combo is 10 ounces lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

Not advertised weights, but actual measured weights.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast