Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red dot/holograph magnifiers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I don’t mean to make this a LPVO vs Mag thread, since they each have their own uses and advantages, but weight is actually the magnifier’s biggest strong point. Don’t forget to include the weight of the mounts.

My heaviest dot/mount/magnifier combo is an ounce lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

My lightest dot/mount/magnifier combo is 10 ounces lighter than my lightest LPVO/mount setup.

Not advertised weights, but actual measured weights.

It may be that the Red Dot Magnifier set ups have benefited from time and are now lower weight. When the LPVO's first came around it wasn't close. You had guys running the old L3 full size Eotechs with a 3x magnifier behind it or Aimpoint Comp M4's (Vs something like a Trijicon MRO or T2) with factory mounts....Now there are a lot more streamlined setups- especially in mounts. Again, things change and change again....

ETA: One thing I did forget in that "evolution" was the ACOG. It came between the Red Dot/Magnifier set up and the LPVO. You still see a lot of them being run even now....
    Last edited by Esq.; 12-31-20 at 10:50.
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    When I said “heaviest dot/mount/magnifier” setup, I really meant that. Its a CompM4s with older, clunky magnifier. An old school, NSN Eotech, complete with batteries and chipped paint weighs 1.9 oz less than a Comp M4s.

The LPVO I’m using for my “lightest” setup is a P4Xi in ADM Recon, so it could lose a bit in the mount, but its still on the low end for ready-to-run LPVO’s.

We were using ACOGs for a few years before magnifiers (or LPVOs) became a thing, so I wouldn’t consider them a bridge between magnifiers and LPVO’s, rather a separate evolutionary path. One that I still consider to be valid, though I don’t use them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    It may be that the Red Dot Magnifier set ups have benefited from time and are now lower weight. When the LPVO's first came around it wasn't close. You had guys running the old L3 full size Eotechs with a 3x magnifier behind it or Aimpoint Comp M4's (Vs something like a Trijicon MRO or T2) with factory mounts....Now there are a lot more streamlined setups- especially in mounts. Again, things change and change again....

ETA: One thing I did forget in that "evolution" was the ACOG. It came between the Red Dot/Magnifier set up and the LPVO. You still see a lot of them being run even now....
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    With all things, it depends what you want to do.

I have two Aimpoint 3X-Cs with twist / flip mounts acquired on the cheap and an extra base. I put them behind Aimpoint T/H-2s on SBRs and they give you a bit more real reach when shooting around the property. They also come off easily when you are using NVGs or just want to use the RDS. The extra base is on a rifle with an Aimpoint Pro and it works fine there as well. They are lighter / easier to use and of better optical quality that the Vortex and other cheaper options I've had and sold off.

LPVOs are awesome and I have several - if I was picking one 'do all' rifle, it would likely be one of these.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    If the ATF brace BS comes back to see another day you could see dot/magnifier replacing some LPVOs on some pistol builds.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I have two Aimpoint 3X-Cs
    Did you determine if there’s any difference in the glass between that and the “professional” model? It looks to me that the only difference is the diopter adjustment range.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    I have the 3XC that I used to have behind a PRO with both on Scalarworks mounts. It was a long setup but the dot was fine.

Feedback Score
    Has anybody gotten their hands on the new EOTech G45? Thoughts?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Did you determine if there’s any difference in the glass between that and the “professional” model? It looks to me that the only difference is the diopter adjustment range.
    That and the professional model can withstand abuse such as drop/impacts, cold/hot weather, under water, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    If I ever find an Eotech G45 in stock I’m going to try it out. I’m not sure that they are even out yet.

I have a Vortex Micro 3x.
    Pros I like how compact it is. It fits in a grenade pouch perfectly. The field of view is about the same as a ta31 acog.
    Cons The Vortex micro 3X eye box is very tight. The last time I was at the range it was raining and getting dark and the vortex didn’t perform that well in those conditions.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    If I ever find an Eotech G45 in stock I’m going to try it out. I’m not sure that they are even out yet.

I have a Vortex Micro 3x.
    Pros I like how compact it is. It fits in a grenade pouch perfectly. The field of view is about the same as a ta31 acog.
    Cons The Vortex micro 3X eye box is very tight. The last time I was at the range it was raining and getting dark and the vortex didn’t perform that well in those conditions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast