Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What drills are you guys doing at home with the current ammo crunch?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

What drills are you guys doing at home with the current ammo crunch?

Hey guys, I am just trying to pick up new training tactics that I can do at home on top of my standard dryfire stuff. Currently I am doing daily dryfire, as well as clearing snap caps, and associated feeding malfunctions. Handguns only currently.

I want to know what everyone else is doing. Just dryfire, airsoft stuff, laser targets, etc, I am looking for some more ways to get non range reps in. Thanks in advance, and I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I have no airsoft, but plenty of free time at night, so I’ve been dedicating time to practicing moving around with weapon (unloaded, of course) and clearing my house. Pieing, threshold clearing, flashing my wml quickly and learning to see as much as possible. Stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Dry fire is an important part of practice but as you know, it can't be everything. I've seen guys come to our range that claimed to dry fire practice "32 hours a day" LOL types. Their manipulations were so-so and one practically jumped the first time he pulled the trigger and noise was actually made. An extreme case but you get the idea- you have to split your time wisely between dry fire work and also "converting money into sound" AKA actual shooting.

IMO dry fire work is best for the things few really want to practice- left handed work, rapid changes of platform, working on the ground, etc.

I've noticed like live fire, people want to do dry drills on things they are already good at. When we go to the range or when we do dry work, we should focus not on the things that we are already good at, but at the things we aren't really good at. For most people it's those things I've mentioned above.

Yes ammo is expensive now, but we still have to shoot some if we want to get or get more proficient. Developing skill at arms is an investment in time and money.

Couple things you can do to help mitigate ammo costs when training/practicing-

1. Load mags less. Put 10 instead of 29 in a magazine. You'll get a chance to work more reloads.
    2. Do the same drill dry 3 times before doing it live. Then analyze, do it dry one more time slowly and then live again.
    3. Find a .22 that has the same manipulations as your main rifle and/or #4
    4. Get a KWA Professional training gun- these are gas operated professional airsoft guns where the gas and BB's go into the magazine which holds 40 rounds. The weight, feel and function of them are identical to your regular AR, AK, etc. You have to change magazines every about 40 rounds, so no "hollywood mag" BS. These will also take most standard accessories so you can put your same model dot sight, sling, etc. on your KWA AR as you have on your real weapon. Most importantly, it's something that you can use at FOF classes versus buying some knockoff airsoft that will break on you in short order, or an electric. Cost? You'll break even on the gun and magazines the first 500 BBs you shoot in place of .223 and again you will have a functional training weapon, versus a toy that will break quickly.

5,000 BBs works out to usually around $25. or less. A can of green gas will do approximately 20 magazines worth (I tried to keep count of this via tick marks on a can but lost track, last one I marked was 13 and it kept going for a while after that).

The biggest thing is no matter what, KEEP PRACTICING and KEEP TRAINING, no matter how you do it. Try to "budget" as much live ammo in as you can and fill the gaps with dry work, airsoft, etc.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I find barricade; strong side/ support side, done properly excellent practice.
    Most don’t use cover properly.

I like transition from carbine to handgun and back again as well.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Since I already have good airsoft replicas of my main pistol and carbine, I'm looking at buying a cheap-ish laser+app system like Mantis X3 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RB316JF) or similar. Because I can't currently justify the cost of something like Smokeless Range (https://store.laser-ammo.com/softwar...ess-range.html).

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All of the above, plus practice getting into and out of position.

Manipulations, reloads, malfunction clearing, pistol and rifle.

Reloads out of whatever rig you'd be using live.

I find dryfire and presentations from holster to be very important for pistol.

For live, low round count drills like FAST test, 3M Test, Wizard Drill, MNQ.

ABSOLUTELY don't load your mags all the way up, you get more reload practice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another vote for dry fire. I've done this for years but it helped big time when transitioning to a dot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I am shooting like I always have, but I see a lot of people shooting .22's in matches and in the desert. Ive been impressed with the S&W .22 handgun watching others shoot it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I have had the Mantis Blackbeard on loan for a while now and have posted about it on my IG account

It is a very useful tool for dry fire practice. Easy to bring to the range also to run some reps before going live.

This one is the non laser version and I am also looking at getting the visible laser version and some laser targets for longer distance etc.

Why visible, I dont like it but cell phone target apps dont work with IR what I understand. As my intent is to utilize both the above mentioned laser targets and the cell apps.

In any case the Blackbeard brings a lot for a reasonable cost and is something that I was heavily looking into a couple of years ago and I even approached one company about developing a system like this.

Works pretty well and a good investment even with regular rifle ammo prices, not to mentioned what you guys are looking at now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post

Why visible, I dont like it but cell phone target apps dont work with IR what I understand.
    Thats interesting. Take a look at your cellphone under NODs. I’m not the only one that has seen a bunch of crazy IR flashing from the user-facing camera. If the phone has IR illuminators, then the camera can see IR. But.... it seems the owner can't access that.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast