Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What drills are you guys doing at home with the current ammo crunch?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    I have had the Mantis Blackbeard on loan for a while now and have posted about it on my IG account

It is a very useful tool for dry fire practice. Easy to bring to the range also to run some reps before going live.

This one is the non laser version and I am also looking at getting the visible laser version and some laser targets for longer distance etc.

Why visible, I dont like it but cell phone target apps dont work with IR what I understand. As my intent is to utilize both the above mentioned laser targets and the cell apps.

In any case the Blackbeard brings a lot for a reasonable cost and is something that I was heavily looking into a couple of years ago and I even approached one company about developing a system like this.

Works pretty well and a good investment even with regular rifle ammo prices, not to mentioned what you guys are looking at now
    This is great to know. I just got my MantisX3 I ordered last night and was able to run it on my Glock 19 and Sig P365xl and was very impressed with it so far. Felt good to get some solid reps in!

I am probably going to order the Blackbeard too, it just makes a lot of sense right now in the ammunition climate.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    I'll take a couple empty mags and work on drops, insertions, bolt trips, and target acq. This can be done without ammo inside the home. It's a way to become smoother at reloading and getting the dot on what you want to hit. Tactical front rolls over the coffee table are optional.

Outside at my backyard plate range, I'll load mags randomly with about 2-7 rounds and run them from my belt and carrier. This saves on ammo and promotes more reloading practice. The randomized round count helps me to keep shooting until empty but never knowing exactly when that will be. I'll add in a pistol transition here and there using the same random round counts and a reload.

Sometimes I do just pistol drills and sometimes just carbine. I have five plates from 8" to 12" and I try to plug each plate twice at 30 yards as fast as I can make good hits, even with my pistol. Not easy, but good practice.

In my lane of fire I have a row of large trees on one side and a large building on the other. I'll try to work up to the plates and then work my way back while switching between strong and weak. Night shoots are a little disorienting, but your daytime practice pays off not being able to see much and going by feel and memory.

Depending on how ambitious I am, I'll go prone or to a knee, sometimes behind cover, but I'm always moving. This is how I practice.

Feedback Score
    Night shoots are a little disorienting, but your daytime practice pays off not being able to see much and going by feel and memory.
    +1

If you have to look at your magazines when your reloading your gun, you need to be working reloads more.
    Site Advertiser

www.jrhenterprises.com
    Ask about M4carbine.net discounts
    30 years in business- Since 1992
    robert@jrhenterprises.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    I'll take a couple empty mags and work on drops, insertions, bolt trips, and target acq. This can be done without ammo inside the home. It's a way to become smoother at reloading and getting the dot on what you want to hit. Tactical front rolls over the coffee table are optional.

Outside at my backyard plate range, I'll load mags randomly with about 2-7 rounds and run them from my belt and carrier. This saves on ammo and promotes more reloading practice. The randomized round count helps me to keep shooting until empty but never knowing exactly when that will be. I'll add in a pistol transition here and there using the same random round counts and a reload.

Sometimes I do just pistol drills and sometimes just carbine. I have five plates from 8" to 12" and I try to plug each plate twice at 30 yards as fast as I can make good hits, even with my pistol. Not easy, but good practice.

In my lane of fire I have a row of large trees on one side and a large building on the other. I'll try to work up to the plates and then work my way back while switching between strong and weak. Night shoots are a little disorienting, but your daytime practice pays off not being able to see much and going by feel and memory.

Depending on how ambitious I am, I'll go prone or to a knee, sometimes behind cover, but I'm always moving. This is how I practice.
    You're doing it RIGHT! Keep it up.

Feedback Score
    The best way to practice your action drills (non-malfunction drills) is with Air-Sim (high-level airsoft rifles). I use a PKS ar-type gas rifle that has a 40 BB limit. Yes, the magazines are expensive but the system gives me the best realism to my AR-15 that I've found. Get several people together and perform your reaction to contact drills!

Just be careful not to do the drills where common folk will call the police on you... ha.

Of course, the other drills listed above are great for shoot-n-scoot drills. Add in "I'm up, he sees me, I'm down" to the drills and you've got quite a workout!

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Most important drill by far IMO is reholstering safely.

After that, you can practice less important things like drawing from concealment in multiple positions (seated with seatbelt, prone, kneeling behind cover), shooting from cover, etc.

First shot from holster is more important than the 9th shot on the 3rd target.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12