Thread: How many MOA is the rod?

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)

How many MOA is the rod?

I'm math challenged and want to figure out the MOA of two fiber optic rods in a front sight.

I am replacing the front iron sight on a hunting rifle with a fiber optic rod. I can choose either 1/16" or 3/32" diameter and want to know how many MOA those measurements cover at 100 yds, the maximum range I can see in the woods where I hunt. I know there are folks here who can answer that question without breaking a sweat: Help, please?
    Yankee refugee living in the free state of West Virginia.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I blacked out while mathing and woke up with 3.75 and 5.625 MOA scribbled on the wall.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    I blacked out while mathing and woke up with 3.75 and 5.625 MOA scribbled on the wall.
    Thank you.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It would help to know the distance from your eye to the front sight. The front sight post on a M4 covers more target (16.6 MOA) than the same post on a M16 (12.2 MOA).

I think the figures provided are too low.

Formula is here: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...A2-front-sight

Not to be "that guy" but you are not asking for MOA, you are asking how much of the target the post will subtend at 100 yards.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-24-20 at 08:37.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Distance from eye to front sight is 28".
    You're correct that the area subtended by the rod at 100 yds is the desired value.
    I'll try the formula; thank you.
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 12-24-20 at 09:40.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    7.7 MOA for the small pin so ~ 7 7" subtension at 100 yards? 11.5 MOA and inches of subtension @ 100 yds for the large?

Andy

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I'd use the one that fits the rear sight best and not worry about what it covers downrange. You should be floating the target on top of the sight so it won't matter what it covers.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I've always put the front sight " right on top" of the target, so that the bead on the front sight covers where I want the bullet to strike. It's worked for me for my whole life since I fired my first gun in 1952 as a 6-year old on a cut-down 52B with the Lyman Globe front sight and peep rear, centering the target in the middle of the front and rear aperture. That sight picture was also used for the post insert, and I have continued that practice with every type of iron sight ever since.

Is there a body of evidence that the lollipop hold is superior?
    Last edited by Bruce in WV; 12-25-20 at 08:07.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    I've always put the front sight " right on top" of the target, so that the bead on the front sight covers where I want the bullet to strike. It's worked for me for my whole life since I fired my first gun in 1952 as a 6-year old on a cut-down 52B with the Lyman Globe front sight and peep rear, centering the target in the middle of the front and rear aperture. That sight picture was also used for the post insert, and I have continued that practice with every type of iron sight ever since.

Is there a body of evidence that the lollipop hold is superior?
    I don't know what you are hunting or with what caliber rifle but if it is a 2MOA rifle, Buck Fever makes you 4MOA shooter and the sight covers 8" of the target might take a while to find the animal. In the end all that matters is you are comfortable doing what you do. Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by GH41; 12-25-20 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    "Merry Christmas."

...and the same to you sir!