Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SF G2X

Feedback Score

SF G2X

Is the Surefire G2X still a good budget carbine light? I’m putting a bare bones carbine together and I need a light that isn’t too expensive. All the reviews I find are a few years old. Anyone have any recent experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have one I still use as a handheld. Its far from the latest or brightest, but if I were building a budget home defense gun, I’d have no hesitation using it. It works.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    They work. Ideal? No. But if you got a little more to say, $120, you can get a a streamlight hl-x 1000 lumen rail mounted light which will give you the mount and a pressure pad and 30% more lumens.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    I have one I still use as a handheld. Its far from the latest or brightest, but if I were building a budget home defense gun, I’d have no hesitation using it. It works.
    Thanks. I have several other Surefire weapon lights on other rifles and pistols and they are awesome. This is definitely a budget build and I’m trying to talk myself out of spending $250+ for another M300C. $100 for the G2 and mount seems like a good deal if the light will hold up as well as the others.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    They work. Ideal? No. But if you got a little more to say, $120, you can get a a streamlight hl-x 1000 lumen rail mounted light which will give you the mount and a pressure pad and 30% more lumens.
    The Streamlight is a good light. I have one on my GFs rifle and it’s super bright but I haven’t used it very much. I’m using the A2 hand guards so I’ll have to use the tail cap switch instead of the pressure pad. Thanks

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Polymer Surefire lights are still GTG, perfectly usable mounted or handheld and preowned or sale examples are great values. Last pretty much forever with battery changes and occasional cleaning (threads, o-rings).

Obviously tons of other great options as well, but I'll take a value priced new old stock or used Surefire over most lights.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    My primary AR has had a G2X Tactical (high only) mounted to the handguard for years. The tail cap switch is perfect for how I use it and where it is mounted. I shot the mount loose twice before I refined my lok-tite skills, but the light has been problem free.

The new G2X lights are rated at 600 lumens, mine is 320. Something to consider if you find a used light.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 12-31-20 at 20:37. Reason: Corrected output to 320 lumen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    This^^^

They've had their issues but I believe most of the bugs have been worked out. The tape switch was said to be the issue with random flickering but other products out there has fixed that. Over all what you get for the price will fit your needs.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have the single battery SL rail-mount on my AR pistol and it has been fine. The mount is a bit bulkier than I like, but they also have a SF Scout light mounting pattern, which expands mount choices.

My Surefire light was made in the U.S., my Streamlight in China .

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    One of my “main” ARs has a G2X on it, it’s the 600-lumen model (I had the 300 lumen model on it prior to that). I also am still using Keymod - namely the BCM PKMR handguards, because I don’t really attach enough stuff to most of my guns to justify free float handguards for most of them, and have the G2X in a BCM keymod light mount in the 11 o’clock position.
    I also previously used a G2X with a GG&G ring mount on a carbine that had a short section of pic rail bolted on to some CAR handguards.

I’ve been satisfied with how the G2X has performed in the carbine WML role, although granted it’s been pretty light duty compared to what some people put their gear through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast