Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where should i engrave my lower?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I have done inside the trigger guard, on the sides of the magwell, and sides of the upper receiver (SCARs).

I never really think about / look at the engraving, even though it's there. I really don't give a ****, as there is other engraving / markings on the weapons already from their manufacturer, which I don't often look at either. But I keep things simple - AR-15s are 5.56, AR-10s are 7.62x51, etc.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Oh, and in 10+ years of owning them, nobody has ever asked to see the engraving. Only the douchenozzles at the range asked to see and make copies for the Form 1/4s - yeah, not gonna happen fellas. EAFD.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am taking mine today to a local engraving company that has been around for decades and does it while I wait in the same room. Any trophy shop should be able to do it but it must be at least .003 inch deep and 1/16th of an inch lettering. Abbreviated first and middle initials are permitted. From the ATF website:

Section 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
    (a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as
    follows:
    (1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously
    placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the
    frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be
    placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed,
    and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For
    firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the
    engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a
    minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch;
    and
    (2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously
    placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the
    frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information
    must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or
    removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30,
    2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be
    to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
    Firearms Verification - Gun Control Act Definitions 7
    (i) The model, if such designation has been made;
    (ii) The caliber or gauge;
    (iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable,
    the same of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
    (iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or
    recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer
    maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the
    firearm; and
    (v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which
    it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation
    thereof)
    where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For
    additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs
    regulations at 19 CFR part 134.

Feedback Score
    Jim Willi law firm recommends Gray Laser Engraving in. San Antonio. HTTPS://texasguntrust.com/useful-lin...arms-engravers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Whenever possible, you want to engrave exactly as it appears on the form. If you don't, there's always the chance, however small, that an ATF agent might take it and send it back corrected with electropenciling done by a man without thumbs.

The law says the engraving has to be conspicuous. So that's open to interpretation. People have been engraving in less visible places for a long time and no one has ever said anything about it. This includes manufacturers as well. For example, I have an AK clone that's engraved under the trigger guard from the factory, and he's been doing it that way for many, many years.

What most people don't know is that you can also engrave the barrel. If the entire barrel is covered by handguard, they can't ding you for that. Kind of like how they can't ding you for having a redi mag covering your receiver engravings.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Just a quick clarification: only the serial number needs to be 1/16” tall. There is no text height requirement for the Maker’s name/location. I don’t know how much smaller you can go than .0625” and still be legible, but probably enough to make some more spots on the gun available.

Feedback Score
    I've got a Billet style lower. I had it engraved on the "outside" of the trigger guard. Blends right in.
    Last edited by TomV; 02-07-21 at 16:04. Reason: Spelling.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Oh, and in 10+ years of owning them, nobody has ever asked to see the engraving. Only the douchenozzles at the range asked to see and make copies for the Form 1/4s - yeah, not gonna happen fellas. EAFD.
    Exactly. SBRs, Suppressors, etc. are all so common, no one here in AZ bats and eye. I just stumbled across my Stamps the other day... hadn't looked at them in years.

Engraving is more critical for ACTUAL manufacturers... not F1er's. When we did that kit can, the engraving was "Real" because we made the can and assigned the real serial number, etc.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

where should i engrave my lower?

Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    I have used Ident Twice. I'd use them again.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I engraved the inside of my bore. It cost a fortune and ruined the accuracy. But it's worth it!
    That's how I did my last one too.

Can you see it?

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Engraving is more critical for ACTUAL manufacturers... not F1er's. When we did that kit can, the engraving was "Real" because we made the can and assigned the real serial number, etc.
    This is sage advice.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 01-22-21 at 14:53.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Nice sub gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast