Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Bulk 556 Brass prep and reloading process

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBummer View Post
    2 questions from a newb here...
    liquid lanolin and ipa whats the preferred ratio ? I'm using 20% at present
    I'm using Mighty Armory TNT fl resizing dies, pistol and rifle, and their uni. decapping die<no bent pins with that thing...
    wet tumbling - I have the Midway National Metallic tumbler, almost a copy of the F.A. platinum - its works great! and a work horse.
    normal load - 1000 pcs. of 9mm, or 500 pcs. 556 range brass all decapped first- 4 second hard squeeze of dawn-1 tbsp. of lemishine. - run brass for 4 hours with ss pins. comes out shiny in every nook and cranny, let it air dry on shop towels in a large box with 2 fans blowing over it. Now, when dry, I can feel the brass is not slick, probably soap residue, and has that slight patina look, "unless" I give each piece of brass a quick hand dry with a rag right away. Am I using too much dawn or lemishine ?
    This is a good thread. Thanks to all.
    You need to use SimpleGreen fir soap instead of dawn. It will cut the lanolin. You are experiencing sticky brass due to wrong soap for lanolin. SimpleGreen is the secret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbdesigns View Post
    You need to use SimpleGreen fir soap instead of dawn. It will cut the lanolin. You are experiencing sticky brass due to wrong soap for lanolin. SimpleGreen is the secret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with the Simple Green.
    kwg

Feedback Score
    I have 6 buckets of lake city once fired brass.
    And a single stage press.
    I don’t even want to start lol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BeachBummer View Post
    556 range brass all decapped first- 4 second hard squeeze of dawn-1 tbsp. of lemishine. - run brass for 4 hours with ss pins. comes out shiny in every nook and cranny, let it air dry on shop towels in a large box with 2 fans blowing over it. Now, when dry, I can feel the brass is not slick, probably soap residue, and has that slight patina look, "unless" I give each piece of brass a quick hand dry with a rag right away. Am I using too much dawn or lemishine ?
    This is a good thread. Thanks to all.
    How are you rinsing your brass?
    I use two good squeezes of Dawn and maybe a little less lemishine.
    I rinse in hot water and a nylon strainer.
    Most of the brass come out slick.

I also use a dehydrator to dry. Not only does it dry fast it seems to eliminate water spots and the patina look.
    My first guess would be to cut back on Dawn and then lemishine.

I haven't tried Simple Greens. Might have too.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    From what I have read, watch the time and rinse on Simple Green since it can leach zinc out of the brass.

Not a problem(citric acid does the same) just something to keep in mind.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendelshooter View Post
    The manageability of brass like that.. for me anyway, is the Thumler Tumbler capacity. Running about 130-140 pieces each 2 hour load makes VERY manageable re-sizing lots. If I have several hours, I'll stagger both of my tumblers so loads are finishing up one hour apart. So I'm getting 2 hours tumble with a load coming out every hour until I can't stand it any longer.
    Last edited by markm; 10-01-21 at 19:00.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grendelshooter View Post
    On the days when it's raining too hard to go outside, prep brass. On the days when the wind chill is -11 degrees, prep brass. On the days when the heat index is + 100 degrees, prep brass. You would be surprised how much brass you can process in a few hours. It will shave hours off your reloading time when you load the prepped brass during the shooting season.

6 buckets of brass is manageable. You eat an elephant one bite at a time.
    Last edited by T2C; 10-01-21 at 22:19.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    ^^^^^^^^
    That is good advice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    On the days when it's raining too hard to go outside, prep brass. On the days when the wind chill is -11 degrees, prep brass. On the days when the heat index is + 100 degrees, prep brass. You would be surprised how much brass you can process in a few hours. It will shave hours off your reloading time when you load the prepped brass during the shooting season.

6 buckets of brass is manageable. You eat an elephant one bite at a time.
    Add in days when the wind is blowing and I’ll get it done in no time lol.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789