Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bulk 556 Brass prep and reloading process

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoe View Post
    I am running a 750. My process involves 2 toolheads.

1. tumble in dry media
    2. lube and let dry
    3. prep toolhead resize/deprime > case trim(mounted on toolhead) > Lyman M die
    4. tumble again to remove lube and help debur from trimming
    5. swage on dillon super swage - I do all my brass
    6. load toolhead universal deprime > prime/powder > powder check > bullet seat > bullet crimp

Depending on the brass I am using I might clean up the primer pockets a bit more with a reamer tool in a cordless drill. I find most of the problems I have had in the loading process are related to primer pockets, so I tend to spend a bit more time prepping them to keep the reloading process running smooth.
    RCOE's setup is probably what I will do. I see now the reason for the Lymon M die.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    Gunnerblue said separating neck sizing and FL sizing will work the cases less. The real reason though is that the Dillon trimmer does not inside size the mouth. It only contacts the outside.
    Not at all. You’re misunderstanding. You would need a body-only die to work it less.

What is being said is to use a FL die without an expander ball then use a expander die in a second step.

Also your powder die isn’t going to “bell” the mouth of your rifle brass, nor do you want it to.

You need to realize you need to trim the brass then chamfer and deburr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    OH ok. I may need to add another die on my prep toolhead to do that.
    For .223 brass I wouldn't bell it. Rather the standard method to ensure smooth projectile seating is small a 45 degree chamferring cut on the inside of the case mouth. RCBS or others make a hand tool that does it and deburring, some trimmers like the girauds do all 3 steps at once (trim, chamfer, and deburr). Belling is typically a pistol thing only except for a few other types of rifle cases (maybe straight walled?) I have never heard of it done on .223. The powder die insert for .223 may come in the conversion kit IIRC.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B52U View Post
    For .223 brass I wouldn't bell it. Rather the standard method to ensure smooth projectile seating is small a 45 degree chamferring cut on the inside of the case mouth. RCBS or others make a hand tool that does it and deburring, some trimmers like the girauds do all 3 steps at once (trim, chamfer, and deburr). Belling is typically a pistol thing only except for a few other types of rifle cases (maybe straight walled?) I have never heard of it done on .223. The powder die insert for .223 may come in the conversion kit IIRC.
    OK thanks for straightening me out. That's why I needed this input. My stuff from Dillon is on backorder so I haven't seen how it will work. I have a couple of the handheld deburring tools, but I was just trying to be lazy and eliminate handling.

Feedback Score
    OK thanks for straightening me out. That's why I needed this input. My stuff from Dillon is on backorder so I haven't seen how it will work. I have a couple of the handheld deburring tools, but I was just trying to be lazy and eliminate handling.
    Save the money and cancel the order for the Dillon trimmer. Get the Giraud. It’ll perform all three functions in one step. You’re going to handle the brass three times either way but the Giraud is superior otherwise.

If you want to minimize handling, do it this way:

Tumble, lube, place in press. First station decapping die and FL size w/o expander, then third stage an expander die. Then dry tumble, run through Giraud, then back into the press with decapping die in stage one to ensure no tumbling media is in the flash hole, an expander die (this should change dimensions but only clean up any dents), powder die, seat, then crimp. If you’re super concerned throw a powder cop in and skip the expander.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PracticalRifleman View Post
    Save the money and cancel the order for the Dillon trimmer. Get the Giraud. It’ll perform all three functions in one step.
    Agreed. And again... belling should not be in this conversation AT ALL. As pointed out, That's a pistol loading issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agreed. And again... belling should not be in this conversation AT ALL. As pointed out, That's a pistol loading issue.
    So setting the M die to flare the mouth is no good?

I actually bought the dillon trimmer many years ago when I only had a single stage press doing rifle ammo. I have just never tried to incorporate it into the progressive because I have only done pistol ammo on the XL650.

I never thought about changing around the 5 stations and eliminating the powder checker.

Feedback Score
    Also one tip on the giraud options if you decide to go that route. Their premium device is quite pricey, but they offer a reasonably priced alternative called the "tri-way" trimmer that can be chucked in a drill press or hand drill. I put mine in a corded hand drill and chuck the whole drill in my bench vise, trimmer up, for easy operation. I wear a leather glove to reduce grip fatigue. That's the one downside to the giraud is having to hold the cartridge base while it does its thing, but it is very fast for all 3 steps. I tend to keep my batches limited at 100 a session for less mental and physical fatigue.
    Last edited by B52U; 12-30-20 at 10:48.

Feedback Score
    So setting the M die to flare the mouth is no good?

I actually bought the dillon trimmer many years ago when I only had a single stage press doing rifle ammo. I have just never tried to incorporate it into the progressive because I have only done pistol ammo on the XL650.

I never thought about changing around the 5 stations and eliminating the powder checker.
    No. The M die isn’t useful for bottle-neck rifle rounds and if anything, detrimental.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Yeah, don’t go from a wet tumble to a media/vibratory tumble. I use an old food dehydrator to dry (so I don’t have to use the oven).

In fact it pretty much looks like this, but this is “for brass”.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars.../dp/B00RPABBG0

Great info! I guess I'm gonna have to get one of those and start wet tumbling. Maybe I can use my corncob tumblers to dry the brass.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast