Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brownell's "Retro" series

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Call Windham Weaponry. They are the Bushmaster of old.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    On a related note, Windham Weaponry is doing a special run of slick-sided (no forward assist) rifles to test the market. No idea on the barrel twist rate but probably 1:7 or 1:9. Not sure if that's an A1 or A2 buttstock:

I bought one of these last month. Ask me anything! FYI they are doing them with the slick side because their original A1 Upper vendor bailed on them.

Feedback Score
    Has anyone here bought the second gen BRN-10 yet?

I talked with Brownells yesterday after no reply to my email from January, the helpful staff that I talked with told me that they discontinued the Gen 1 BRN-10A and BRN-10B but they have the Gen 2 that replaced it. I didnt know about this Gen 2 cause the title has CA in it and I thought it was a california compliant version but looking at it I see no where, where it is stated that it was california compliant and the customer service I was talking with stated they are still working on a california compliant version.

I was informed the BRN-10A brown furniture will be coming out for the Gen 2 eventually, the 20rd waffle mag will be coming out as well for the Gen 2 as well. Problem is though the description for this so called Gen 2 is the same as the Gen 1 which makes me question the accuracy of the information provided such as the DPMS/SR-25 mags that the Gen 1 accepts. I feel if the Gen 2 accepts the same as the Gen 1 then the Gen 1 mags wouldnt be discontinued.

So I am curious has anyone here purchased the Gen 2?

This is the Gen 2 I was linked to by customer service.

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...rod134576.aspx

Im curious how it compares to the old BRN-10 as I was wanting the BRN-10A with the brown furniture as well as wanting the 20rd waffle mags. I was also wanting to pick up a fsb to swap out for one with a bayonet lug but now I guess I will have to wait to see whats all different on the Gen 2.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Brownell's "Retro" series

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_S85 View Post
    Has anyone here bought the second gen BRN-10 yet?

I talked with Brownells yesterday after no reply to my email from January, the helpful staff that I talked with told me that they discontinued the Gen 1 BRN-10A and BRN-10B but they have the Gen 2 that replaced it. I didnt know about this Gen 2 cause the title has CA in it and I thought it was a california compliant version but looking at it I see no where, where it is stated that it was california compliant and the customer service I was talking with stated they are still working on a california compliant version.

I was informed the BRN-10A brown furniture will be coming out for the Gen 2 eventually, the 20rd waffle mag will be coming out as well for the Gen 2 as well. Problem is though the description for this so called Gen 2 is the same as the Gen 1 which makes me question the accuracy of the information provided such as the DPMS/SR-25 mags that the Gen 1 accepts. I feel if the Gen 2 accepts the same as the Gen 1 then the Gen 1 mags wouldnt be discontinued.

So I am curious has anyone here purchased the Gen 2?

This is the Gen 2 I was linked to by customer service.

Im curious how it compares to the old BRN-10 as I was wanting the BRN-10A with the brown furniture as well as wanting the 20rd waffle mags. I was also wanting to pick up a fsb to swap out for one with a bayonet lug but now I guess I will have to wait to see whats all different on the Gen 2.
    That is good to know. I wasn’t aware of the Gen 2 as a replacement for the Gen 1 guns. I’ve looked at the CA version you linked to before. The first line of the description says:

“A Piece of History, Fresh from the Factory & Ready To Shoot-California Compliant.”

Maybe what is listed is the CA compliant gun that they are working on.
    Last edited by Korgs130; 03-28-21 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    That is good to know. I wasn’t aware of the Gen 2 as a replacement for the Gen 1 guns. I’ve looked at the CA version you linked to before. The first line of the description says:

“A Piece of History, Fresh from the Factory & Ready To Shoot-California Compliant.”

Maybe what is listed is the CA compliant gun that they are working on.
    You know I didnt see that first line where it said california compliant. But customer support I talked with did state that is the Gen 2 and is replacing the Gen 1. I guess it is cheaper to just make a California compliant version with the smaller mag and then just let people buy the larger 20rd mags or like you said maybe that is for the california compliant version they are working on and they havent created a listing for the Gen 2 that they are working on and the customer support was mistaken when they linked that to me as the Gen 2.

Just bothers me because I had my eyes set on the BRN-10A with the brown furniture and I had plans to swap out the fsb for a fsb with a bayonet lug and a binary trigger group. Then this pandemic hit and work slowed down for me now I am able to buy it and I found out in january they were effectively discontinued.

Either way I dont mind a CA compliant version if all that is different is the smaller 10round detachable magazine. That can easily be corrected with the 20rd mags which I planned on buying 5 to 10 20rd mags anyways as well as looking at this one DPMS 100round dual drum mag as a possibility if it will fit. Would be great for my range time as even a 20rd mag isnt big enough when the range you go to has 30 minutes between cease fires for paper target changes. Only thing mag swaps are good for is slowing you down on firing but even then it doesnt slow you down a whole lot.
    Last edited by Rusty_S85; 03-28-21 at 14:06.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

Brownell's "Retro" series

I just chatted with Brownells and they told me that there are no plans for a BRN10 Gen 2 or any additional BRN10s. Some one has the story wrong, hopefully it’s the guy I talked to.
    Last edited by Korgs130; 03-28-21 at 14:09.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgs130 View Post
    I just chatted with Brownells and they told me that there are no plans for a BRN10 Gen 2 or any additional BRN10s. Some one has the story wrong, hopefully it’s the guy I talked to.
    I agree, I cant seem to get a straight answer to be honest. I mean the guy you talked with said no plans for a BRN10 Gen 2 or any additional BRN10s but yet the CA version is currently listed as out of stock with a notify me button which means they do obviously have plans for more CA versions to be in stock. The other BRN10s the non CA versions the A and B variants the brown or black furniture doesnt have the notify me button which indicates it is discontinued.

This is what I was linked but the guy I chatted with yesterday with brownells as their Gen 2 they are slowly trying to get out.

If you go to the non CA complaint version it doesnt have the notify me button nor does it say out of stock just states No longer deliverable by factory.
    https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...rod115389.aspx

If you do a search for BRN-10 and look at the main page and not select the A or B it says on the main search out of stock just like the CA version.

If you do a search for Retro like here and scroll down to the BRN10 it states they no longer offer complete rifles of them and that you have to build it. If you click build now it gives a list of the parts you need to build which it appears some 90% of them are discontinued except for the lower receiver which simply states out of stock on the main page but clicking on the page itself it states the same as the complete rifle, no longer deliverable by factory.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/gener...aspx?bapid=606

Thats why I am so confused on what is going on. I still want a BRN-10A I like the brown furniture and I love the prototype look, I pieced together a build using NoDakSpud receivers years ago and it was over $2,400 for my build. I been waiting to get this one all last year due to the pandemic but just couldnt buy it due to work slowing down with the pandemic now I can afford to buy it and now it is uncertain if it will even exist anymore. I did see the BRN-Proto its the same as the BRN-10 the only difference is its chambered in 5.56 which is not what I was wanting to be honest and that is not offered as a complete rifle either only via parts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123