Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with scope decision

Feedback Score

Help me with scope decision

I have a 16" sionics upper and currently run a pst2 2-10 on it. I like the scope, it's been a great scope I've been out to 750 yards with it accurately and trust the setup. But it's a little bulky and slow to come on target up close. So I went and got a 1-6pst2 the other day. 1x doesn't feel like one 1x. I haven't mounted it yet as I've been trying to get used to looking through it. Just not sure which way I should go, if I should keep the 2-10 or the 1-6. I want to be able to keep the rifle for closer in work but still go out to 500-600 yards. The glass in both is good but I'm just feeling a little underwhelmed with the 1-6, it is my first lpvo though. If I could afford the razor 1-10 or nxs 8 I'd be all over those. I like the reticles better and the added magnification. It's too bad vortex doesn't offer the 1-6 with either of the reticle from the strike eagle or razor. Really I have no idea which way I should go. The goal was to lighten the rifle and footprint while having it slung across my body and to be able to work up close. Any suggestions on my dilemma?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Which is more important to you: making the rifle lighter or gaining the ability to work up close (without too much compromise at distance)? If it's the latter, consider just adding an offset RMR/ACRO/507/509/T2, etc. Lots of capability in a setup like that with minimal weight impact beyond what you're already running.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I wouldn't make any decisions until you've mounted the scope. Looking through without it properly mounted does it quite a disservice IMO.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    So I went and got a 1-6pst2 the other day. 1x doesn't feel like one 1x. I haven't mounted it yet as I've been trying to get used to looking through it.
    It's 100% 1x, or as 1x as any other scope out there.

You need it (and any other scope for that matter) mounted and get the diopter adjusted correctly.

It's a great scope, especially at the price point.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I wouldn't make any decisions until you've mounted the scope. Looking through without it properly mounted does it quite a disservice IMO.
    Follow this good advice before you do anything else.
    RLTW
    Danger Close Knows No Atheists.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree that evaluating an optic without it being 100% mounted to a rife and properly adjusted is a waste of your time. I've only used a couple other LPVOs, but my PST2 1-6 is as 1X as any of the RDSs.

If you keep both eyes open and train like you mean it, I don't see why you can't run a 2-10 for quick, up close targets. An offset RDS or irons is definitely a solid option, again.....if you put in the time.
    Last edited by grizzman; 12-29-20 at 17:20.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I agree with the others, mount it, make any necessary adjustments, and see what you think then. Also, the offset dot is a great 1x option that'll add minimal weight if you want to reach out and touch someone but still be close to optimal in closer distances. I think the 2-10 with an offset dot would be a great setup.

Feedback Score
    Ok I'll order a mount for it and try it. I'm sure it's a good optic, just not sure if it's a big enough change from the 2-10. I can run that 2-10 decent with the reticle illuminated, although live fire training has all but stopped with reloading comooo the way they are.

Feedback Score
    I currently am using a cantilever ADM mount for the 2-10. Do you guys think I need a cantilever mount for the 1-6 or would just a normal style work?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I currently am using a cantilever ADM mount for the 2-10. Do you guys think I need a cantilever mount for the 1-6 or would just a normal style work?

Get a Cantilever so you're not having trouble with eye relief.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast