Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Recoil pad for special application

Feedback Score
    Yep, that's the one. Says "reduced felt recoil by up to 60%". Up to is right. I think I got only 10% maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony617 View Post
    The LimbSaver recoil pad has one the fits the 6 position buttstock on an AR15.

https://limbsaver.com/collections/re...-on-recoil-pad

The recoil pad is kind of tough to get on while the pad is new but the stretches a bit over time to it is easier to put on.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    It doesn’t seems like he is actually looking for answers.
    It's difficult to know who is credible on these forums so questions, like the ones I've posed, become a kind of survey to gather a variety of responses which can then be investigated to determine which can be discarded and which have merit.

Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Fully agree. I bought a Limbsaver pad for all of my shotguns and hard-kicking bolt rifles and it works great. Then thought I should get the version for my wife's standard M4 type stock and it didn't work very well.
    This makes sense. GH41's F350 shock absorber analogy helped me understand this.

I'm going to continue my recoil pad experiment just because I'm curious to see how it turns out.
    Last edited by Steve_in_Allentown; 04-20-21 at 21:56.

Feedback Score

Recoil pad for special application

I have replaced the recoil pads on my shotguns as well and it really makes a huge difference on my 590A1s.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The Limbsaver for Magpul stocks is a very soft rubber. It may not "reduce recoil" (technically I don't think it can?) but it is much more comfortable than a hard plastic stock against the clavicle.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    The Limbsaver for Magpul stocks is a very soft rubber. It may not "reduce recoil" . . . but it is much more comfortable than a hard plastic stock against the clavicle.
    You nailed it.

Somebody double check my reasoning here. Limbsaver pads are squishy. As they compress the felt recoil impulse is spread out over a longer time period so rather than a short, intense smack the shooter experiences a longer, less intense smack. Sort of like a push instead of a hit.

I'm currently running down leads on Barge Cement, 3M adhesives, and Loctite adhesives.

Feedback Score
    i’ve found Barge cement in tubes at hardware stores, wallyworld and even in grocery stores - not hard to find.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Amazon sells it. Not sure what flavor to use but here is a link> https://www.bargeadhesive.com/products.html

Feedback Score
    i’ve used the squeeze tube - yellow with red lettering - one tube is more than enough for a butt pad unless you are extremely clumsy or can’t follow directions.

Feedback Score
    Yes, that sounds right. It's a double-edged sword, though, in my experience. With a 5.56 carbine, that squishy-ness doesn't translate into the fast follow up shots they are claiming. Matter of fact, I get way less dot bounce when I'm using a firm pad pulled really tight into my shoulder pocket. Seems to recover faster, if that makes sense. But, if you have your reasons why you need a lot more comfort, the Limbsaver is tough to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_in_Allentown View Post
    Somebody double check my reasoning here. Limbsaver pads are squishy. As they compress the felt recoil impulse is spread out over a longer time period so rather than a short, intense smack the shooter experiences a longer, less intense smack. Sort of like a push instead of a hit.

Feedback Score
    If you want to increase rifle weight there are parts made for national match shooters. Geissele makes a MK7 NM rail that has internal routing brackets where you can mount supplied lead bars, similar to wheelwrights, on the inside of the rail. You can then balance that with a buttstock weight from White Oak Armament. Its a 3.5 piece of lead that is molded to the inside of an a2 stock. With these parts you can build an ar well over 15 pounds unloaded without optics. The limbsaver pad will help, although as others have said the difference is minimal. Low mass bcg's and adj gas blocks also help considerably.

OP why is it that you have to reduce the recoil? If it is for a health issue you can always adjust you stock placement. My dad had reconstructive shoulder surgery and he found that he could shoot any of his 556s by moving the buttstock from the shoulder pocket to more on his chest. He kind of rested the stock on the edge of his pec instead of the shoulder itself and that worked well enough for him until recovery. Just an idea and my 2c

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast