Thread: Training Suggestions?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Training Suggestions?

Has anybody heard of or taken courses from any of these vendors:

https://www.patc.com/courses/investi...tective5.shtml
    https://www.profirsttraining.com/new...tigator-course

Any other suggestions for a "new detective" class?

Scheduled right now I have...

Trauma Management: Found one that includes everything (Stop the Bleed + First-Aid + CPR + AED) plus TECC-LEO in 16 hours
    https://www.alphadefensegroup.com/cr...st-aid-cpr-aed

Professional Development: Advanced SRO Class by NASRO
    https://www.nasro.org/clientuploads/...OBJECTIVES.pdf

Cross posted from the LEO forum, interested in different perspectives:

Each year, in addition to any department-mandated training, I try to get training in each of the following categories:

Firearms
    Crisis Intervention
    Trauma Management
    EVOC
    Other/ Professional Development

I'm a School Resource Officer in a very small department: 5 patrol officers, a chief, a civilian administrator and me. I can only attend training, or take time off, when school isn't in session. I'm also the department's "training coordinator" so I manage and coordinate the training for the department, and make recommendations to the Chief whether to accept a course or not (Colorado doesn't have state-level approval of most police training courses, they are approved, or not, by individual departments).

A long time ago, before the Army and long before I was a cop I was an EMT/Firefighter... back when EMTs were the thing and almost nobody had Paramedics... so emergency medical has always been an interest, and also sometimes comes in handy. Working almost exclusively in schools I get funneled a lot of youth mental health stuff... legally I'm the only person "in" the school district who can actually mandate a 72 hour mental health hold: school counselors can't, school psychologists can't.. so they call me.

For example, last year was kind of wacky but I still attended Front Sight's "4 Day Handgun", Front Sight EMS's "Trauma Management", and a "Youth Mental Health First Aid" course put on by the school district I help cover. I was also supposed to attend Crisis Intervention Training, but was canceled due to Covid.

...and yes, I know Front Sight isn't the most high-speed firearms training out there, but I get the classes cheap or free and it gives me and excuse to stay in Vegas for a few days. Also, training has to be relatively accessible.. I'm spending my own time and money here, usually.

This year so far I'm looking at:

EMS: "Stop the Bleed" course... two hours, quick and cheap.... but want more EMS. May also try Dark Angel Medical's "DART" 16 hours. Other suggestions?

EVOC: Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat, CO: two days of driving fast on ice.

Firearms: Already signed up for Front Sight's "4 Day Practical Rifle", possibly will get the department to sponsor DTI's "Defensive Urban Rifle" or a custom class for the department and local civilians. (John Farnam lives locally and I've taken his classes before).

CIT: Will be signing up for another "official" CIT class, any other suggestions for similar training?

PD: Chief is talking about sending me to a two week detective course. I investigate a LOT of sex assaults on juveniles. We don't have a designated detective or investigator, just patrol and me, and becoming detective/ investigator may be next on my career path anyway.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-29-21 at 11:12. Reason: Update
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.