Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training Suggestions?

Feedback Score

Training Suggestions?

Has anybody heard of or taken courses from any of these vendors:

https://www.patc.com/courses/investi...tective5.shtml
    https://www.profirsttraining.com/new...tigator-course

Any other suggestions for a "new detective" class?

Scheduled right now I have...

Trauma Management: Found one that includes everything (Stop the Bleed + First-Aid + CPR + AED) plus TECC-LEO in 16 hours
    https://www.alphadefensegroup.com/cr...st-aid-cpr-aed

Professional Development: Advanced SRO Class by NASRO
    https://www.nasro.org/clientuploads/...OBJECTIVES.pdf

Cross posted from the LEO forum, interested in different perspectives:

Each year, in addition to any department-mandated training, I try to get training in each of the following categories:

Firearms
    Crisis Intervention
    Trauma Management
    EVOC
    Other/ Professional Development

I'm a School Resource Officer in a very small department: 5 patrol officers, a chief, a civilian administrator and me. I can only attend training, or take time off, when school isn't in session. I'm also the department's "training coordinator" so I manage and coordinate the training for the department, and make recommendations to the Chief whether to accept a course or not (Colorado doesn't have state-level approval of most police training courses, they are approved, or not, by individual departments).

A long time ago, before the Army and long before I was a cop I was an EMT/Firefighter... back when EMTs were the thing and almost nobody had Paramedics... so emergency medical has always been an interest, and also sometimes comes in handy. Working almost exclusively in schools I get funneled a lot of youth mental health stuff... legally I'm the only person "in" the school district who can actually mandate a 72 hour mental health hold: school counselors can't, school psychologists can't.. so they call me.

For example, last year was kind of wacky but I still attended Front Sight's "4 Day Handgun", Front Sight EMS's "Trauma Management", and a "Youth Mental Health First Aid" course put on by the school district I help cover. I was also supposed to attend Crisis Intervention Training, but was canceled due to Covid.

...and yes, I know Front Sight isn't the most high-speed firearms training out there, but I get the classes cheap or free and it gives me and excuse to stay in Vegas for a few days. Also, training has to be relatively accessible.. I'm spending my own time and money here, usually.

This year so far I'm looking at:

EMS: "Stop the Bleed" course... two hours, quick and cheap.... but want more EMS. May also try Dark Angel Medical's "DART" 16 hours. Other suggestions?

EVOC: Bridgestone Winter Driving School in Steamboat, CO: two days of driving fast on ice.

Firearms: Already signed up for Front Sight's "4 Day Practical Rifle", possibly will get the department to sponsor DTI's "Defensive Urban Rifle" or a custom class for the department and local civilians. (John Farnam lives locally and I've taken his classes before).

CIT: Will be signing up for another "official" CIT class, any other suggestions for similar training?

PD: Chief is talking about sending me to a two week detective course. I investigate a LOT of sex assaults on juveniles. We don't have a designated detective or investigator, just patrol and me, and becoming detective/ investigator may be next on my career path anyway.

Any other suggestions?
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 01-29-21 at 11:12. Reason: Update
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I think the medical classes are an excellent idea. Dark Angel (Kerry Davis) is excellent. Caleb Causey with Lone Star Medics is also traveling to Colorado now.

Have you considered OC? Chuck Haggard does a lot of OC instructor training over in Kansas. He's doing an instructor class in Louisiana in a few months.

The EVOC class sounds awesome, that will pay off so much!

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    I had no idea Dark Angel was in CO. I'd also never heard of Bridgestone, that sounds fun.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Take a good interview/interrogation course. Statement Analysis. Behavioral Analysis and courses on micro-expressions.

Ground fighting courses.

Some good force on force using sims and shoot/no shoot scenarios.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Take a good interview/interrogation course. Statement Analysis. Behavioral Analysis and courses on micro-expressions.

...snip....
    That sounds really interesting! Do you have any recommendations for classes or trainers? I would enjoy taking something along those lines, due to some of my work responsibilities.

Definitely agree on the other classes as well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    That sounds really interesting! Do you have any recommendations for classes or trainers? I would enjoy taking something along those lines, due to some of my work responsibilities.

Definitely agree on the other classes as well.
    When it comes to interviews and Interrogations, the Reid Method worked like a champ for me. If you can't take a course, read the book.

I never got to take a course, but just by having read the book, I achieved phenomenal results. My suspect admission rates went up dramatically.

Feedback Score
    Reid Method is definitely a good one for both the private sector and law enforcement. Definitely a good foundation to build on. Would probably recommend taking that one first and building off it. Stan Walters the Lie Guy is another one. I’d also look into any sex crimes/pedophile interview techniques. I never had the stomach to work child crimes but I worked alongside two child crime detectives who were both very good interviewers.

I went to a conference a few years back and took a great class on non verbal body language clues. Showed a lot of videos of officers who were attacked and/or assaulted and studied the body language indicators their assailants made prior to attack. Was really good.

Feedback Score
    Not on LEO forum (should prolly make that happen) but having been in the position of picking my own and other's training, I suggest you get training in your least comfortable area. If you're doing a lot of CSCs, then a detective class might be good. If you need a good go by for a snapchat warrant PM me. That has helped me and my people a ton. Also, buddy up with your nearby agencies for cellebrite access.

You cannot have enough medical training. We do a ton more medical than shooting people. Ya know, gotta wake up those FD guys after all. We bought some wound cubes and they're pretty decent. We put old undershirts over em and "find the wound."

I actually believe the Detective stuff would be useful. Plus you can help your patrol guys out with their fraud reports. Might even be able to get a Detective status due to your knowledge, which many agencies out here classify their SROs under the DB. Then bargain a lil pay bump, jus sayin.

I'll echo EV as well. Reid has been awesome. I have some DVDs if you want the...um...free version. Interviews are essential in any investigation.

Good luck, let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Feedback Score
    Update in original post...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    If you are into driving fast on ice, I’d consider Tm O’Neil Rally School and Car Control Center, also. Next year comes quick.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast