Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neat tip for kinetic pullers

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I don't pull too many either, but I've used the o-ring collet ass ache thingies forever.

I have an old LNL single stage dedicated to .223 collet pulling cuz the press it too worn out for any serious loading. .223 bullets are usually too light to efficiently use the kinetic puller.
    I have a big Herters single stage press dedicated to primer pocket swaging at the moment. It's good to have spare presses.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-03-21 at 17:01.

Feedback Score
    Dang, I've never needed shell holders for anything (I bleed Dillon blue), but I just ordered a RCBS #27 to pull down the odd .40S&W cartridge that I flub...

Feedback Score
    Great tip, I’ll have to try it out.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Has anyone done any testing on how much a collet puller distorts a bullet compared to a kinetic puller? I get that using a shell holder in a kinetic puller is an improvement, but it still isn't exactly quick - especially if you had any real quantity to deal with. I currently use an RCBS collet puller which seems comparable in speed, but have been considering the Hornady cam lock puller for increased speed. So has anyone had issues where collet pulled bullets created accuracy issues?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sjoliat View Post
    Has anyone done any testing on how much a collet puller distorts a bullet compared to a kinetic puller? I get that using a shell holder in a kinetic puller is an improvement, but it still isn't exactly quick - especially if you had any real quantity to deal with. I currently use an RCBS collet puller which seems comparable in speed, but have been considering the Hornady cam lock puller for increased speed. So has anyone had issues where collet pulled bullets created accuracy issues?
    I am sure the shell holder in the kinetic puller isn't nearly as fast as a press mounted mechanical puller. I think my biggest batch I decided to pull was 100 cartridges and that was with the o-ring collet deal which sucked, but would have been tolerable with the shell holder. Beyond that quantity I would be purchasing a mechanical pull set up.

I haven't tried an accuracy check so not sure other than obvious defects. I have purchased mechanical pulls where some had marks(not much different than a cannelure) that may/may not have an effect on accuracy, but a few were mangled. A kinetic puller without padding in the catch tip will definitely distort softer lead tips so with that consideration both methods probably can be viewed as 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other.
    Last edited by jsbhike; 01-14-21 at 05:49.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12