Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopharted View Post
    R1M1 or L2A2 in 7.62x51
    Welcome to the forum.

Keith

Feedback Score
    You're awfully mysterious...

If by "R1M1" you mean South African surplus, then that sounds good.

If by "L2A2" you mean Malaysian, then I'm skeptical...

NB: I don't have any experience with either of these, but I follow the ammo forum at TFL.

Also, assuming both are Berdan-primed, then I wouldn't pay more than 30¢ for them as "blasting" ammo. Accuracy won't be that good, and you can't reload the cases...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    You're awfully mysterious...

If by "R1M1" you mean South African surplus, then that sounds good.

If by "L2A2" you mean Malaysian, then I'm skeptical...

NB: I don't have any experience with either of these, but I follow the ammo forum at TFL.

Also, assuming both are Berdan-primed, then I wouldn't pay more than 30¢ for them as "blasting" ammo. Accuracy won't be that good, and you can't reload the cases...
    I didn't know Malaysian was L2A2. I only knew of Radway Green, but your mention of Malaysia got me looking and there is also POF L2A2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I didn't know Malaysian was L2A2. I only knew of Radway Green...
    I think "L2A2" is just the UK's designation for their 7.62NATO ball, no matter where it was produced (or by whom).

I have some 1980s vintage Radway Green, and it's good ammo, but it's not great (accuracy-wise), and the cases are throwaways...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I think "L2A2" is just the UK's designation for their 7.62NATO ball, no matter where it was produced (or by whom).

I have some 1980s vintage Radway Green, and it's good ammo, but it's not great (accuracy-wise), and the cases are throwaways...
    I was assuming Malaysian 7.62 was M80 due to a mental leap off of Malaysian 55gr 5.56 being M193. I have cans of the M193 (headstamp MAL 5.56 and date) and I have been finding Malaysian 7.62 at the range (MAL 7.62 and date). I guess the naming came from L1A1 and M16A1 use?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I was assuming Malaysian 7.62 was M80...

I guess the naming came from L1A1 and M16A1 use?
    I'm guessing, really...

I googled "L2A2" and the Malaysian surplus ammo came up. I figured the OP is looking at buying some of that.

(I haven't seen surplus Radway Green for sale for a long, long time.)

I just stumbled across this:

https://sites.google.com/site/britmi...62mm-nato-ball

Assuming this is right, then "L2A2" is just UK-spec 7.62 surplus "ball," analogous to (but not the same as) the USA's M80-spec.

Feedback Score
    ok , i hope this does not double post a , i had written a clear explanation post but it did not post , must have hit the wrong button and it cleared the message window , i will try again

have a fella locally , before christmas i scored 6 battle packs of the South African off of him , think he was looking for present money for the fam , at the time he mentioned he also had some L2A2 , being unfamiliar and i was getting 7.62 from him my mind went to it being 7.62x51 , i did some google and it came up both 7.62 and 5.56 ,again still thinking it was 7.62 because i told him i was very low on ammo for my 7.62x51 weapons, so the confusion started there on my part

i did not know from my research that L2A2 was malaysian in 7.62 and british in 5.56 ,i thought L2A2 was a Brit headstamp , did not know it was a cross over stamp ,thats where my confusion continued

i contacted him and he confirmed it was radway green ,magnetic ammo ,so after reading your posts, and clarifying with him ,i went back and did some more google and im coming up with there are two types of Radway green 5.56 , there is a magnetic round that is very hot ,and a round that the Brits intentionally manufactured lighter than all other Nato due to a specific weapon that they were running it through that could not handle the higher pressured ammo , this was advertised as "great plinking ammo" and was indeed sold bargain basement as someone mentioned

he had a can and opened it 720 in the can he said and the ammo was packed in what looked like small green bags about the size of 20 rounds per pack , the "plinking version" i understand was loose ammo in a can , this is not the case with this stuff , even though i know now its 5.56 and im trying to replenish my .308 coffers im still interested , that would be some great SHTF ammo if it is magnetic , but when buying 5.56 i split purchases with 2 buddies 3 way and i do not want to buy the wrong stuff and hear how its not cycling , and at the same time i dont need 720 rounds of it , enough to run and see what its about and load a few ready mags and stow the rest

anyone know how to tell the difference between the two ?

and for what its worth the South African i got from him is great ammo , so if push comes to shove if he says its magnetic then i will trust that , i cant see the magnetic ammo being anything but hot ammo, and being individually wrapped in 20 round packs not boxed or loose kinda says its better ammo

thanks for the input and responses

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I purchased a "tin" of SA 7.62 years back, believe it was 2400 rds or some odd ball number.
    It was around 2.5 MOA best case, never attempted reloading or examining a fired case for that matter.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I purchased a "tin" of SA 7.62 years back, believe it was 2400 rds or some odd ball number.
    It was around 2.5 MOA best case, never attempted reloading or examining a fired case for that matter.
    to each his own

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast