Thread: G21 Gen5 MOS auto slide release issue

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

G21 Gen5 MOS auto slide release issue

I have a G21 Gen5 MOS with 1800 rounds in it thus far. After the first 400 rounds it began to auto slide release after inserting the magazine on reload. I called Glock and they sent me a new Slide release lever and RSA. I only replaced the Slide Release Lever. It was fine for another 1200 rounds and then it began to occur again. I know many people here will say that that is just fine. However, given that none of my multiple Glocks have ever done this with far more rounds in them, it's irritating. Any thoughts?
    NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Admitted New York State Bar 1994

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not a Glock story, OP, but I was shooting speed steel last week with my HK VP9, and it auto forwarded during a mag change for the first time ever. It definitely screwed me up. We train movements and they take over during stress. So, I started to try and send the slide forward after it was forward.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by czgunner; 09-09-23 at 16:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are you using extended or aftermarket mags with it? I have a M&P9 that does it only when I use mags with extended baseplates. I think I know why mine does it, but I think I would butcher the explanation…

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Everything is OEM.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Are you using extended or aftermarket mags with it? I have a M&P9 that does it only when I use mags with extended baseplates. I think I know why mine does it, but I think I would butcher the explanation…
    My gen 1 M&P has done that with the stock mags since day 1.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
    My gen 1 M&P has done that with the stock mags since day 1.

To my knowledge all gen 1 M&P's will do it (I've owned several) if the mag is inserted a certain way, all my mags are stock.

I haven't bought any gen 2's because all the whining caused S&W to make the gen 2 guns with no beaver tail and no auto forward.

Feedback Score
    If they gave you a new RSA why wouldn’t you install it? It seems obvious that the added pressure from a new RSA would make it less likely to auto forward.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    If they gave you a new RSA why wouldn’t you install it? It seems obvious that the added pressure from a new RSA would make it less likely to auto forward.
    Didn't seem so obvious at the time given the low round count. I've since installed the new RSA and the auto slide forward continues to occur. The Slide release rounding out over time seems to be the culprit. Im wondering if anyone has encountered this on a Glock before? I have not. Is there a fix other than a new slide release every 400-1200 rounds?
    Last edited by PLCedeno; 09-10-23 at 11:21.
    Glock Certified Armorer

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PLCedeno View Post
    Didn't seem so obvious at the time given the low round count. I've since installed the new RSA and the auto slide forward continues to occur. The Slide release rounding out over time seems to be the culprit. Im wondering if anyone has encountered this on a Glock before? I have not. Is there a fix other than a new slide release every 400-1200 rounds?
    Is there a burr where the slide release engages? Maybe its wearing them down?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Is there a burr where the slide release engages? Maybe its wearing them down?
    Not that I can see.
    Glock Certified Armorer