Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to pistol ARs

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by opngrnd View Post
    I think 11.5 is a sweet spot for many.
    Agreed. Little more dwell time and a couple extra fps.

Feedback Score
    While certainly not technical feedback, this is the wrong time to be spending $$$ on an AR pistol. To be truthful not even 16" AR's are likely to be safe, but "pistols" are low-hanging fruit and easily picked. YMMV.

To render more technically-related info? As others have said, going below 10.5" is not desirable or optimal, both for ballistics and function.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would posit they're ALL in some danger at this point.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    While certainly not technical feedback, this is the wrong time to be spending $$$ on an AR pistol. To be truthful not even 16" AR's are likely to be safe, but "pistols" are low-hanging fruit and easily picked. YMMV..
    What does this mean?
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    While certainly not technical feedback, this is the wrong time to be spending $$$ on an AR pistol. To be truthful not even 16" AR's are likely to be safe, but "pistols" are low-hanging fruit and easily picked.
    Biden has said he'll make all semi-automatic rifles Class III weapons.

HE doesn't understand what he's talking about, but his handlers do...
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ^^Agreed^^

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    From the link above: "LOUD. Even with ballistic shooting glasses, the concussion hurts my eyes."

That pretty much sums up the disadvantage of a 7.5" 5.56/.223.

Andy
    I heard being loud a lot before I got my DDM4 10.3" AR Pistol.

It has proven to be a myth. If louder than 16" barrel I can't tell and zero concussion....

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    I heard being loud a lot before I got my DDM4 10.3" AR Pistol.

It has proven to be a myth. If louder than 16" barrel I can't tell and zero concussion....
    Your experience is different than mine. Neither your experience or mine proves or disproves anything. I cannot tell a real difference between a 16" or 14.5" AR, but my 11.3" has noticeably more concussion.

This article also disagrees with you: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/b...-nato-weapons/

If you have quantifiable proof that the sound level or muzzle pressure is the same with a 10.3" and 16" 5.56, feel free to share the data.

I could also point out the OP and my post are referencing 7.5" barrels.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 01-14-21 at 18:36.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Your experience is different than mine. I cannot tell a real difference between a 16" or 14.5" AR, but my 11.3" has noticeably more concussion. This article also disagrees with you: http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/b...-nato-weapons/
    Actually it says...

"Actual sound pressure levels varied from 162.5 dB(A) in the 24-inch barrel to 165.1 dB(A) in the 5-inch barrel." Almost reads like a misprint as I'd have guessed a much greater difference from a 24" to a 5"! 16" to 10" I seriously can not tell the 10" is much louder

Plus the article is dealing with effects on suppressors....Maybe it correlates to unsuppressed.....

Anyways....As I said it's not a very discernible difference and no reason to avoid a shorter barrel. Other factors would be more important IMO.

Cool article! Thanks!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Actually it says...

"Actual sound pressure levels varied from 162.5 dB(A) in the 24-inch barrel to 165.1 dB(A) in the 5-inch barrel." Almost reads like a misprint as I'd have guessed a much greater difference from a 24" to a 5"! 16" to 10" I seriously can not tell the 10" is much louder

Plus the article is dealing with effects on suppressors....Maybe it correlates to unsuppressed.....

Anyways....As I said it's not a very discernible difference and no reason to avoid a shorter barrel. Other factors would be more important IMO.

Cool article! Thanks!
    I'm not questioning whether you notice a difference. A 10.3" barrel using the same muzzle device and ammunition as a 16" barrel will be measurably louder. I, like most people on the planet, can detect a difference as well.

FYI - there is a significant difference between 162.5 and 165.1dB, certainly detectable by most people. 2.5 dB is roughly a 25% increase in perceived loudness. Also from the article "the sound measurements are not considered overly accurate due to compliance with the Mil-Std."

To be clear, the quote I found amusing and provided was, like the OP, referencing a 7.5" 5.56 barrel.

Andy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast