Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to pistol ARs

Feedback Score
    I will say that my favorite rifle is my 11.5. But I will not shoot that sum bitch without a suppressor. Anyone saying that sbr’ s aren’t louder ain’t shooting mine. My 11.5 bcm is freaking so loud and concussive that at my local range, where it’s isn’t uncommon for multiple magnum rifle calibers are shot at the same time, people stop me look at me like I’m shooting a cannon. I would defiantly go 11.5 to 12.5 range if it were me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chamber143 View Post
    I will say that my favorite rifle is my 11.5. But I will not shoot that sum bitch without a suppressor. Anyone saying that sbr’ s aren’t louder ain’t shooting mine. My 11.5 bcm is freaking so loud and concussive that at my local range, where it’s isn’t uncommon for multiple magnum rifle calibers are shot at the same time, people stop me look at me like I’m shooting a cannon. I would defiantly go 11.5 to 12.5 range if it were me.
    Wow!

I'm telling you my DDM4 10.3" is NO LOUDER than a 16" AR! I feel no concussion....no ill effects and have never considered a suppressor....

Perhaps there is something with the design....

I wear plain old $20 Howard Leight ear muffs.....don't even bother with adding in ear protection. I'm a musician and pay attention to my hearing and can say I suffer no ill effects from the 10.3" DDM4...

YMMV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Whalstib View Post
    Wow!

I'm telling you my DDM4 10.3" is NO LOUDER than a 16" AR! I feel no concussion....no ill effects and have never considered a suppressor....

Perhaps there is something with the design....

I wear plain old $20 Howard Leight ear muffs.....don't even bother with adding in ear protection. I'm a musician and pay attention to my hearing and can say I suffer no ill effects from the 10.3" DDM4...

YMMV
    I recently took,a two day class and halfway through the class day 1 I thought that the suppressor was wearing my arms out so I took it off. I fired 5 rounds and said fuk this and put it back on. It’s a loud bitch. I wish mine wasn’t any louder than my 16 inches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    dB scale is logarithmic. 10dB = twice as loud
    Also humans vary as to their perceived sensitivity.
    Some will go to heavy metal concert and stand in row one. Others can’t stand to be in the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wscottstewart View Post
    dB scale is logarithmic. 10dB = twice as loud
    Also humans vary as to their perceived sensitivity.
    Some will go to heavy metal concert and stand in row one. Others can’t stand to be in the parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interestingly, 3dB is actually twice the pressure, but 10dB is typically *perceived* as twice as loud.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Interestingly, 3dB is actually twice the pressure, but 10dB is typically *perceived* as twice as loud.
    I believe a doubling of pressure is 6dB, while a doubling of power is 3dB.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I suppose it's an individual thing. With hearing protection I have no issue with my AR pistols. Even my little 8.5". It's louder than a carbine but not by all that much. It has a KV linear comp. All others are A2 or A1 flash hiders. One of the A2s is extended. These are all 5.56 sharing same type ammunition.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Kind of an interesting article here. The author is a Doctor (and Professor) who actually discussed supressors without bias, which is refreshing.

She states that SBRs were measured at 170dB and that some muzzle brakes increased the SPL to 180 - 185 dB (!).

For comparison, 165dB is the number generally thrown around for a 16" AR.

https://www.hearingreview.com/inside...g-conservation

This article shows a 9mm pistol SPL as 5 dB greater than a .22 lr pistol. I don't know anyone who thinks they are equally loud - 5 dB is detectable.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/bl...-of-firearms-2

Andy

P.S. I am guessing SBR means a 5.56mm in the Dr's study.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 02-19-21 at 12:11.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

New to pistol ARs

Have you guys tried a KAK can, Indian Creek can or similar? Not a suppressor, a can.
    Youtube guys say they are effective at sending the noise and concussion forward.
    Last edited by 202; 03-06-21 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    My 8.5" pistol with Gamma V6 is loud, but tolerable to me with hearing protection. My 11" 7.62.39 pistol is not nearly as loud.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast