Thread: Bench made Infidel problem

Feedback Score

Bench made Infidel problem

I’ve carried Benchmade products thru two wars, and in my every day carry kit, and now the past several years as a peace officer. Never had the slightest problem.

However during our last move I “lost” my Infidel. I bought another and drive on, figuring I left it in a drawer or something.

Fast forward a year and a half, and I find it’s been sitting in a box in the garage! Happy day!

...except something seems to be wrong with the internals. The blade often fails to lock on opening. It takes a wrist flick to completely get it open and locked. There’s no evidence of rust anywhere I can see.

I don’t know from knives, so will I cause any problems squiring some Hopes or CLP inside?

Is it something I can take apart without parts flying everywhere? Would there be any point in doing so?

I’m thinking about calling Benchmade and seeing if I can send it in (they cost as much as a duty sidearm, I’m not just tossing it).

Ideas?
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There's likely a bit of fine dust/grit gumming up the bearings. There are videos on YT showing how to disassemble and clean the knife that will help you get the job done in 15 minutes.

You will need a very light oil such as mineral or cutting oil, and you'll need to make sure that you reassemble the bearings with the same side facing in, but other than that, it's really a very simple process.
    “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” -Augustine

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Gun oil will be too thick. You need a light oil. I happen to like benchmade’s blue lube for knives.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Benchmade will fix it up for free. Just note:

Automatic Knife Notice

Note: Any automatic knife (button activated spring-opening) returned for LifeSharp service from outside of Oregon must also include either a signed copy of the "Auto Knife Opening Acknowledgment Form", your web account username if you have already accepted the AKO Acknowledgment, or be returned through an authorized Benchmade dealer. No exceptions will be made. Automatic knives will be returned in compliance with Federal statutes.

https://www.benchmade.com/media/form...owledgment.pdf
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Send it to Benchmade. They have pretty good customer service. Unless your weird like me and like to tinker. I’ve completely taken apart my Auto Presido and Griptillians and it wasn’t too bad. A little tedious getting the auto back together but fun. I like 3 in 1 oil for a light do all lube.

Feedback Score
    Try compressed air first. I believe there is a hole in the rear of it that you can use. That’s how I clean my microtechs as recommended. Adding oil will only attract dirt in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    Mine gets gummed up occasionally.
    I start by blowing out with compressed air. Then saturate with rubbing alcohol. Blowout again. Light, light oil. Blowout again and wipe down the blade.
    Use it until it gums up gain, six months plus.

Feedback Score
    This might help as well

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NqquCdMVozU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I would call Benchmade and see about sending it in, like others have said.
    Also, note that Benchmade’s warranty might be invalid if you try to fix it yourself or disassemble it:
    “This warranty does not cover defects due to:
    normal wear and tear
    re-sharpening of the blade
    damage due to neglect or misuse
    lack of normal or necessary maintenance
    alteration or disassembly of the knife by any third party or negligence
    Do not use your knife as a screwdriver, pry bar, chisel or punch. Do not throw your knife or use it for any purpose other than cutting. Do not disassemble your knife. Do not sharpen your knife on a power grinding wheel.
    Any of these acts will void this warranty.”

-from their website, emphasis is mine

If you’re on this board, you’re probably no stranger to tinkering with stuff. I would check with Benchmade first, and if they won’t fix it, then I’d open it up and see what’s going on. I would avoid Hoppes and CLP in this instance.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.