Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Crimson Trace riflescopes?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)

Thoughts on Crimson Trace riflescopes?

Anybody got any feedback regarding actual use of a Crimson Trace Series 5 rifle scope?

A good friend is asking me. I've done some web searches, and was going to seek qualified opinions from the hive mind.

Thanks very much.

Feedback Score
    I’m curious too. I had no idea these existed. Price point and Japanese manufacture suggest these are LOW optics, which is a good thing from a quality standpoint.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockapede View Post
    I’m curious too. I had no idea these existed. Price point and Japanese manufacture suggest these are LOW optics, which is a good thing from a quality standpoint.
    Yup, that was exactly what had both of us curious. I have been a fan of the Japanese ED glass going back to the 1980's, when this buddy and I both carried a Nikon F-series camera with ED lenses. That was the heat 40 years ago.

He's been learning how to use the Bushnell Elite scope with an H59 reticle that I have, and likes the ability to make quick hits without having to dial in changes.

Which is exactly why I like it. But that's also a $1700 optic.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I believe that they are made by Japan Optics Ltd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Midway is blowing them out at like 1/2 price.

https://www.midwayusa.com/optics/br?...3D1%26Ntpr%3D1

I looked at them before but to me they look like a meh first try by a non-optics manufacturer to spec out optics. Kind of like all of SIGs first gen optics.

Lots of good, made at a legit OEM, but some features that just don't make sense. FFP 1-x without daylight visible illum. 1-8s FFP without illum but with exposed turrets. Odd reticles. Etc, etc.

Maybe CT will make a legit push into the optics market, but it seems like retailers are blowing out the products they have, so who knows.

Every time I think about spending $500-1000 on a compromise optic, I come to my senses and realize that money is better spent paying for a portion of what I really want.

YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    Every time I think about spending $500-1000 on a compromise optic, I come to my senses and realize that money is better spent paying for a portion of what I really want.

YMMV.

This is excellent advice. I would rather shoot more Aimpoints and irons and put funds toward high end glass when in need of magnification.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Midway link makes me think they are just over priced for a first attempt.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    Midway link makes me think they are just over priced for a first attempt.
    Well they are, but they had to start somewhere.

I looked at all of them in detail since they came out and again with this blowout sale - still couldn't find even one that I'd want to have at current prices.

I'm not really in the market for an optic but if I was, I'd still go Nightforce or higher end Vortex / Trijicon over every offering there. Yeah, they all cost more but I'm certain all 3 of those companies will be in the optics business in the next couple of years. CT? Who knows.

But if they have the features someone wants, someone always has to be 'first'!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Sample of 1: they are total junk. Far worse than the brand and price would lead you to believe.

I bought and returned a 3-18x 5 series from Midway a few months ago - this one:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619511?pid=961295

The elevation turret was so loose it rattled, like if you shook it lightly. The windage turret didn't quite rattle but had poor feel. The reticle was not only a poor style viewed in person, but it was HORRIBLY made - fuzzy edges and some kind of color aberration. Optical quality was OK, acceptable for the price but nothing special, and construction quality other than turrets was also "meh." FYI I've used 30+ scopes in this general league in the last decade, none of this is user error or lack of knowledge.

The Vortex Viper PST gen2 and Burris XTR gen2 absolutely wipe the floor with this scope in all ways. The discontinued Weaver 3-15x50, which first came out circa 2010 and was around $500 on closeout last year, is also better in all ways.

Oh BTW, Midway's customer service since Covid is terrible, they just don't care and are impossible to reach in a useful way (chat only, no phone option, phone calls if you kept their old number go to a recorded message). And their return policy was not really honored for this scope. I tried to get Midway to fully honor their return policy for defective products, which includes free return shipping. While I got a refund of the purchase price they did zilch on the cost of return shipping, even though I had asked them to generate a label as they normally do (no) and if they couldn't, then to pay my actual cost upon receipt (said they would, but they did not). So I was out $30 to return a scope that defective out of the box. This was my second hassle in the last year with attempting to return a product to them. I used to be a huge Midway customer, but now I only buy from them absolutely known brand names (like Nightforce) and only if I'm 100% positive I won't be returning it.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Sample of 1: they are total junk. Far worse than the brand and price would lead you to believe.

I bought and returned a 3-18x 5 series from Midway a few months ago - this one:
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020619511?pid=961295

The elevation turret was so loose it rattled, like if you shook it lightly. The windage turret didn't quite rattle but had poor feel. The reticle was not only a poor style viewed in person, but it was HORRIBLY made - fuzzy edges and some kind of color aberration. Optical quality was OK, acceptable for the price but nothing special, and construction quality other than turrets was also "meh." FYI I've used 30+ scopes in this general league in the last decade, none of this is user error or lack of knowledge.

The Vortex Viper PST gen2 and Burris XTR gen2 absolutely wipe the floor with this scope in all ways. The discontinued Weaver 3-15x50, which first came out circa 2010 and was around $500 on closeout last year, is also better in all ways.

Oh BTW, Midway's customer service since Covid is terrible, they just don't care and are impossible to reach in a useful way (chat only, no phone option, phone calls if you kept their old number go to a recorded message). And their return policy was not really honored for this scope. I tried to get Midway to fully honor their return policy for defective products, which includes free return shipping. While I got a refund of the purchase price they did zilch on the cost of return shipping, even though I had asked them to generate a label as they normally do (no) and if they couldn't, then to pay my actual cost upon receipt (said they would, but they did not). So I was out $30 to return a scope that defective out of the box. This was my second hassle in the last year with attempting to return a product to them. I used to be a huge Midway customer, but now I only buy from them absolutely known brand names (like Nightforce) and only if I'm 100% positive I won't be returning it.
    Sweet baby Harambe! That's all I needed to read.

I have been looking at Nightforce and Vortex anyway, and so has my buddy. I'll keep watching the EE.

Definitely going to pick up one of the new Vortex Gen III 1-10x scopes when Grant gets some at G&R. A trusted friend has one, and it's just unreal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast