Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After 5 years...The Precious.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Nice choices - I love those Criterion barrels and PRS stocks.

I just got done building a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" Criterion barrel. I cannot wait to get it to the range.

Please let me know how yours does with those ammo selections you made, especially the Black Hills stuff. It has always worked great in a 16" Criterion barrel I have.

And please drop a link in this thread to the new one in AR Technical Discussion, so we can follow the journey.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Nice choices - I love those Criterion barrels and PRS stocks.

I just got done building a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 24" Criterion barrel. I cannot wait to get it to the range.

Please let me know how yours does with those ammo selections you made, especially the Black Hills stuff. It has always worked great in a 16" Criterion barrel I have.

And please drop a link in this thread to the new one in AR Technical Discussion, so we can follow the journey.
    I sure will. I did some chrono work too with the several brands of Match ammo..Ill write that up also.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    I just curious, why not a 223rem chamber (std or match) and shoot just 223rem ?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    I just curious, why not a 223rem chamber (std or match) and shoot just 223rem ?
    Because 4 of the 7 rounds he intends to shoot through it are 5.56?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Because 4 of the 7 rounds he intends to shoot through it are 5.56?
    Yeah, but, OP says "Debated caliber...and went with 5.56".

If I was gonna choose a specific cal for the rifle I would get barrel chambered just for that. Because of that OP comment I mention 223 match only because 223 is less $ (typically). A 20" barrel is usually for better accuracy/precision, so once in that realm I match the chamber cut to the ammo of choice.

Hence my curiosity why a Wylde cut for a 556 20"? I would have chosen 556 cut (since it can still shoot 223), or went with 223rem match cut w/ 223rem match ammo, and std 223rem ammo for the plinking. I believe Criterion sill cuts 223rem match.

If it's a general use 20" then the OP comment about choosing "556" ammo has me baffled. Wylde or 556 cut for a general use 223/556 rifle seems 100% legit, but I believe you get more throat wear when shooting a ton of 223 in a 556 cut, yet perhaps does not matter if the barrel is not used that often.

I guess it all depends on purpose of the rifle. I am still curious to find good data/tests on a Wlyde vs 556 cut shooting 556 and 223rem. From my readings, it appears a Wlyde will last longer vs 556 cut when using only 223 ammo.
    Last edited by DwayneZ; 02-07-21 at 08:12.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DwayneZ View Post
    Yeah, but, OP says "Debated caliber...and went with 5.56".

If I was gonna choose a specific cal for the rifle I would get barrel chambered just for that. Because of that OP comment I mention 223 match only because 223 is less $ (typically). A 20" barrel is usually for better accuracy/precision, so once in that realm I match the chamber cut to the ammo of choice.

Hence my curiosity why a Wylde cut for a 556 20"? I would have chosen 556 cut (since it can still shoot 223), or went with 223rem match cut w/ 223rem match ammo, and std 223rem ammo for the plinking. I believe Criterion sill cuts 223rem match.

If it's a general use 20" then the OP comment about choosing "556" ammo has me baffled. Wylde or 556 cut for a general use 223/556 rifle seems 100% legit, but I believe you get more throat wear when shooting a ton of 223 in a 556 cut, yet perhaps does not matter if the barrel is not used that often.

I guess it all depends on purpose of the rifle. I am still curious to find good data/tests on a Wlyde vs 556 cut shooting 556 and 223rem. From my readings, it appears a Wlyde will last longer vs 556 cut when using only 223 ammo.
    Very few people will shoot enough to find out. Very little people will shoot enough for it to come close to mattering.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I personally would choose an AR chamber that will safely fire .223 and 5.56, even if it means sacrificing that last degree of accuracy or hyper-accurate barrel life.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    It's great when a project comes together.

I usually can't wait quite that long to finish one off, but like you I'm glad I bought over the past 4 years (firearms, ammo, components, accessories, etc).

Congrats!
    I couldn't agree more. I have ZERO regrets in that category.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    All fine choices

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12