Thread: Adj gas block adventures (1168)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Adj gas block adventures (1168)

I shot some today with an adjustable gas block, and compared settings unsuppressed and suppressed with different springs and doodads.

I used an upper assembled with an A1 flash suppressor used to mount Griffin cans (MSDk, 30SDk,) a BRT 16” pencil barrel with longer-than-mid gas, and a Sentry 6 Ti click adjustable gas block. I used a FCD/Sionics BCG that has been used enough to trust. In two configurations, I used a LMT Enhanced BCG, recently rebuilt (springs, rings)

I got together 3 lowers; one with a Carbine RE, one with an A5, and one with a Rifle RE and A1 stock.

The following buffer weights were used:
    Carbine buffer: 5.5oz
    A5 buffer: 5.4oz
    Rifle buffer:5.7oz
    The rifle and carbine buffer were solid for consistency. The A5 was as it comes out of the box, with bias spring.

All numbers are minimum number of clicks open required to consistently achieve LRBHO with a Gen 3 PMag, and the rifle held firmly to my shoulder. This gas block has 3 clicks per turn, and a click is roughly 0.01” of adjustment screw travel. The first click is numbered 1, and so forth. Temp was ~60 degrees F.

Ammo used for testing was Federal XM855. I fired fouling shots with .223 handloads. I wiped off the bolt and carrier frequently to maintain consistency. No oil was used, and the gun started out dry.
    Last edited by 1168; 01-04-21 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Rifle lower

Colt spring: 7
    Colt Spring, M4SDk: 5
    Colt spring, 30SDk: 5 (very close to not locking back)

36 coil Tubb spring: 6
    36 coil Tubb spring, 30SDk: 5

42 coil Tubb spring: 7
    42 coil Tubb spring, 30SDk: 6
    Last edited by 1168; 01-03-21 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    A5 lower

Colt spring: 7
    Colt spring, 30SDk: 6

36 coil Tubb spring: 6
    36 coil Tubb spring, 30SDk: 5

36 coil Tubb spring, LMT EBCG: 7
    36 Tubb spring, LMT EBCG, 30SDk: 6

Last edited by 1168; 01-03-21 at 22:18.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Carbine lower

Colt spring: 7 (barely locked back)
    Colt spring, 30SDk: 6

Sprinco Blue spring: 7
    Blue spring, 30SDk: 6

36 coil Tubb spring: 7
    36 coil Tubb spring, 30SDk: 6

Last edited by 1168; 01-03-21 at 22:23.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    "Colt spring" is a rifle spring in the rifle and A5, and a carbine spring in the carbine?

From "7 (barely locked back)" and "42 coil Tubb spring: 7" I read that if anything the Colt spring provided more resistance. Manually cycling does it feel less smooth than other springs?
    Last edited by Disciple; 01-04-21 at 15:40.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would never have guessed that a rifle lower would require less gas than a carbine. Interesting stuff. Thank you for posting that!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    "Colt spring" is a rifle spring in the rifle and A5, and a carbine spring in the carbine?

From "7 (barely locked back)" and "42 coil Tubb spring: 7" I read that if anything the Colt spring provided more resistance. Manually cycling does it feel less smooth than other springs?
    Yes, rifle spring in the rifle and A5, and a carbine spring in the carbine. There is some variation from spring to spring with Colt springs, so it could be a fluke that it barely locked back a couple times. FWIW, I selected the longest carbine spring and longest rifle spring from my small collection of Colt springs. That may equate to newest, or stiffest, I dunno. I’ll have to try to quantify that later.

I apologize that I did not make any notes about smoothness when manually cycling. I had to clear a few stoppages, and hand cycle many times, but I can’t recall noticing anything unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    I would never have guessed that a rifle lower would require less gas than a carbine. Interesting stuff. Thank you for posting that!
    This may have something to do with why rifle lowers feel different than carbine lowers. You’re welcome; thanks for reading.

Unfortunately, I found this data collecting exercise enjoyable, but disappointing. I don’t think that the gas block I chose adjusts with quite enough precision to really compare the gas requirements between these different springs as well as I’d hoped. I may add tests later with different buffers; not certain yet.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.