Thread: Starting point / baseline for LMT Piston with A5 RE kit?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Starting point / baseline for LMT Piston with A5 RE kit?

Greetings Everyone.

Wanted to see if the group here has any starting point configs that are known good for LMT Piston top ends running on A5 RE `style` setups (buffer/spring combo).

There is an upper that I would like to start running (LMT 12.5" Piston) yet most of my lowers are A5 RE equipped.

The piston realm is new to me and from what LMT told me to start with I was wondering if this group had any input...their recommendation standard CAR RE and CAR buffer.

Thanks,

Jake

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If it doesn’t run with a standard A5 setup something is wrong.

Feedback Score
    I have no experience with piston uppers but I suspect you might find that it will run almost anything you throw at it within the normal realm. I'd start with the standard A5H2 and maybe consider an A5H3 if for some reason you think it's helpful. A5s seem to have a pretty wide operating range (many 5.56 guns run A5H4 just fine, so I think you might be thinking buffer weight with that upper is more significant than it is. It might be just as simple as A5H2 and be done.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    Greetings Everyone.

Wanted to see if the group here has any starting point configs that are known good for LMT Piston top ends running on A5 RE `style` setups (buffer/spring combo).

There is an upper that I would like to start running (LMT 12.5" Piston) yet most of my lowers are A5 RE equipped.

The piston realm is new to me and from what LMT told me to start with I was wondering if this group had any input...their recommendation standard CAR RE and CAR buffer.

Thanks,

Jake
    Why don't you try the piston gun with one of the A5 buffers you already have? If I had to buy one for an unknown rifle combination it would be the H5... You can always make it lighter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Why don't you try the piston gun with one of the A5 buffers you already have? If I had to buy one for an unknown rifle combination it would be the H5... You can always make it lighter.
    Do you mean the A5H4? I understand this to be the nomenclature for the A5 buffer with all four weights being the tungsten ones. If there is an H5 I don't believe it is a VLTOR product.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohn View Post
    Do you mean the A5H4? I understand this to be the nomenclature for the A5 buffer with all four weights being the tungsten ones. If there is an H5 I don't believe it is a VLTOR product.
    My bad... H4 is correct.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeb View Post
    Greetings Everyone.

Thanks,

Jake
    My 16" piston gun came from the factory with a H2 buffer, but that was 10 or more years ago. Are they currently shipping with standard buffer?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Not sure if it helps, but I run my 10” 516 with an A5 and Slashes heavy buffer.