Thread: Best Suppressor for 8.5" 300 BLK

Feedback Score

Best Suppressor for 8.5" 300 BLK

This has been addressed before but it seems like the posts are dated and there's always a new can that's "best." Ideally, the suppressor would be good on a 10.5" 5.56 SBR also but that's not a hill I'm gonna die on at this point. I'm more concerned with balancing durability, sound suppression, and length than I am weight. I'm not in a position to test a bunch out at this time. Thoughts? Thanks! Brian

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is best is actually going to be up to you as it is what appeals to you in sound suppression, tone, weight, length, mounting options, etc.

I have no issue with any of the 3 following cans.

Lightest is the AAC 300TM titanium can. Direct thread and very quiet with 300BO subsonic. It is the longest of my 3 .308 cal cans but the light weight offsets that.

SilencerCo Omega 300 and Chimera 300.
    Both heavier cans but with various mounting options.
    The additional weight helps with an muzzle flip/rise.

These cans also work well with 300BO supersonic too.
    All of these cans are rated up to 300 win mag so they are versatile.

If you can, try some cans you have access to in order to see what you like. Information paralysis waiting for the next best thing will get you nowhere. There is always something new around the corner...is it that much better or is it just a marginal upgrade or is it marketing hype.

The hybrid cans where you can change the “length” I see as a fad...and in the end a compromise.

Pick one of the mainstream cans and get your form4 started. But be warned, you can’t just have one....

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Rank the following by value.

-Mount/locking mechsnism
    -POI shift
    -Accuracy
    -Blowback on semiautomatic weapons
    -Signature (flash etc.)
    -Durability
    -Customer service/support
    -Weight
    -db reduction
    -Price
    -If the cool kids are running these

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I have an original SiCo Omega on my 8.3" blackout build. It works quite well. Subs are super fun and very quiet. Supers are also significantly quieter. The can stays on my SBR 100% of the time, so POI shift hasn't been checked. Blowback is pretty noticeable, but not unbearable by any means. I haven't shot at night, so I can't comment on signature.

I ended up installing the Griffin Armament plan A adaptor and replaced the brake on the end of the Omega with a flat cap. This reduced weight and length substantially, which I'm very happy with.

SiCo's customer service has also been A+. After my first outing with the can, the finish began to bubble and crack. I know discoloration is normal, but not bubbling. They had me send it in and recoated it and had it back to me very fast. They've also been very responsive through email with various questions.

Feedback Score
    I eliminated those things I don't care about. Here is my ranking.

1 - POI shift (I suspect this comes with the territory so minimization is the goal)
    2 - Accuracy
    3 - Signature (flash etc.)
    4 - Durability
    5 - db reduction
    Last edited by HanYolo; 01-08-21 at 08:01.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HanYolo View Post
    I eliminated those things I don't care about. Here is my ranking.

1 - POI shift (I suspect this comes with the territory so minimization is the goal)
    2 - Accuracy
    3 - Signature (flash etc.)
    4 - Durability
    5 - db reduction
    SureFire SOCOM300-SPS. You may also want to look at the Sig cans and the Thunder Beast Ultra 9 or the more compact Ultra 7.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    SureFire SOCOM300-SPS. You may also want to look at the Sig cans and the Thunder Beast Ultra 9 or the more compact Ultra 7.
    This is the answer. POI, flash, and durability are where Surefire cans shine. I don't own a 300-SPS personally, but have run one quite a few times on a buddy's BCM .300 BLK and it's great with both subs and supers. Subs are stupid quiet. I plan on purchasing one myself when funds allow.

It's actually not terrible on 5.56 either. Maybe a slight tone difference compared to my SOCOM RC2, but it's significantly better with gas blowback. I also believe it's rated for heavier calibers if you wanted to run it on a .308, .300 WinMag, etc..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Doubt it’s the best but it’s extremely versatile, but I just picked up an Omega 36M. If you ran it in the long configuration on that 300blk it would be extremely quiet.

Or, could run it in the short configuration for ultimate lightness and maneuvering.

Feedback Score
    With sound reduction not being priority #1, and length/weight not even being on your list, I’d go with a Dead Air Sandman S. Near the top as far as repeatability/accuracy/durability goes, and the ideal choice for a 10.5” 5.56 IMO.

There are quieter/lighter cans for dedicated .300 subsonic use but I’m not convinced it matters a whole lot on an AR platform. I have that as well as the Wolfman which they claim is their quietest .300 can.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatorgrizz27 View Post
    There are quieter/lighter cans for dedicated .300 subsonic use but I’m not convinced it matters a whole lot on an AR platform. I have that as well as the Wolfman which they claim is their quietest .300 can.
    It matters if the gun is dialed in gas and buffer wise. A 300 blk AR can be extremely quiet when configured correctly.