I've been thinking about getting a classic 1873 Single-Action revolver. I'm not interested in picking up a Ruger FWIW. An original Colt of any generation is easily over $2K so, not cost-effective for me today.

My understanding is that they can't handle Ruger-only loads safely but, are good to go with standard modern loadings which should duplicate in a general way the 45ACP that so many fanboys love in their 1911's. Subsonic 250gr loads and lighter ~1,000FPS options are what I'm interested in.

For those who have owned or shot them, how do they compare to other similar options like the Pietta's which I think are distributed by Beretta? A classic 1873 in 44Mag would be ideal for me though, I would most likely run 44SPL+ equivalent or soft 44 Mag loads exclusively if that option came my way.

What similar options have I possibly overlooked? I'm looking for something easy to load for that has enough power to handle an aggressive dog or possibly a feral hog while being easy to load for with common reloading components and in a modern caliber that isn't likely to be hoarded by new gun owners fearing public unrest, defunding police, general civil unrest, etc.

Would a black-powder only 1873 or 1858 Remington be a viable option? Black powder pistols are a real unknown to me but, with hoarding or simply ammunition shortages driven by all the new shooters, I occasionally wonder if an 1873/1858 BP revolver would be a reasonable choice as a distant 'second-place' option.

I will also clarify that this isn't really intended to be a classic 'self-defense' option for me as I have other pistols, rifles and, shotguns that would all be vastly superior for use against any criminal elements or general civil unrest scenarios so those thoughts aren't really a part of my purchase decision today. Dogs and hogs, yes. Bad people, no.

TIA,
Sid