Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1873 Single-Action copies? Good, Bad, or other?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Uberti 1873 Single-Action copies? Good, Bad, or other?

I've been thinking about getting a classic 1873 Single-Action revolver. I'm not interested in picking up a Ruger FWIW. An original Colt of any generation is easily over $2K so, not cost-effective for me today.

My understanding is that they can't handle Ruger-only loads safely but, are good to go with standard modern loadings which should duplicate in a general way the 45ACP that so many fanboys love in their 1911's. Subsonic 250gr loads and lighter ~1,000FPS options are what I'm interested in.

For those who have owned or shot them, how do they compare to other similar options like the Pietta's which I think are distributed by Beretta? A classic 1873 in 44Mag would be ideal for me though, I would most likely run 44SPL+ equivalent or soft 44 Mag loads exclusively if that option came my way.

What similar options have I possibly overlooked? I'm looking for something easy to load for that has enough power to handle an aggressive dog or possibly a feral hog while being easy to load for with common reloading components and in a modern caliber that isn't likely to be hoarded by new gun owners fearing public unrest, defunding police, general civil unrest, etc.

Would a black-powder only 1873 or 1858 Remington be a viable option? Black powder pistols are a real unknown to me but, with hoarding or simply ammunition shortages driven by all the new shooters, I occasionally wonder if an 1873/1858 BP revolver would be a reasonable choice as a distant 'second-place' option.

I will also clarify that this isn't really intended to be a classic 'self-defense' option for me as I have other pistols, rifles and, shotguns that would all be vastly superior for use against any criminal elements or general civil unrest scenarios so those thoughts aren't really a part of my purchase decision today. Dogs and hogs, yes. Bad people, no.

TIA,
    Sid

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sid- a little info for you, Ive gathered from a couple of FB black powder forums Ive been a member of, just so you know.
    First- the Corona completely, totally shut down the firearms industry in Italy. They had a lot of deaths, and just like where I work, they had to hire newbies to come in to work after being re-opened for awhile. Im hearing & reading that QC is spotty- some people are getting really good guns, some are not. Just saw today a guy bought a Uberti replica and wasnt happy with it.
    So, if possible, inspect the heck out of anything you buy before purchase.
    Two- as far as black powder goes...reports are that both powder & caps are near unobtanium, & pricey if can find them.
    Also- the guns themselves have FLOWN off the shelves and are slow to be replaced.
    So, i cant & wont swear to any of this, its just info Ive gathered in the past few weeks from those who are into black powder/replica/cowboy gun stuff.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Most people like their Uberti’s but I’ve had bad luck with the ones I’ve purchased. Well before Covid I bought a 7th Cavalry repro that went out of time pretty quickly and a couple replica breaktop S&W’s that aren’t right. I’m not happy with my Uberti/Winchester 1866 either.

My Ruger New Vaqueros are flawless, as are my two Colt SAA’s and my Miroku/Winchester 1873, 1885, 1886, and 1892 rifles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks! Good points to consider.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I know you said you are not interested in a Ruger, but the New Vaquero is shockingly close to an 1873 in feel. Night and day compared to the original Vaquero/Blackhawk.

Andy

Feedback Score
    I have a few Ruger New Vaqueros and they are all nice revolvers. The only difference between them and my Colt SAA’s (which were made about 2007) is the color case-hardened frame on the Colt (Rugers are blued steel, which also looks nice) and the lockwork has no “C-O-L-T” when you cock the revolver. The grips on the Colt are a little wider (but grips are easily changed). You can also safely and carry load six rounds too. The Rugers really are a lot of gun for the money.

Feedback Score
    I've had a couple Ubertis SAAs over the years, and have been pleased. Currently have a Schofield as well. Full disclosure; have these guns for my own entertainment, and don't have a huge round count. But they have timed and shot well, and shoot straight.
    The SAA was a Taylor Smokewagon, which had a slicked up action. Wanted a real firing pin gun; no transfer bar. Did not do enough research; it had a clever retreating firing pin activated by a linkage...and it didn't have 4 clicks.
    Ordered another hammer from Taylor, and it went right in without fitting; now it works in the traditional fashion; only safe carrying with 5.
    BTW, ran into a gun newb at our range with a real Colt SAA...he had been told, at the shop where he bought it, that it was safe to carry with 6. Gak. I showed him the load 1 skip 1 thing.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Look at the firing pin when the hammer is down on the Colt SAA (& clones) and it’s pretty obvious leaving a loaded cartridge under it isn’t the safest thing to do.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I’ve had an 1873 for a while. I truly believe they are better than an original SAA. The metallurgy is almost certainly better, along with the fitment and consistency. Mine has been great.
    When you're done saying what you're saying, stop saying it.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdWatcher View Post
    Look at the firing pin when the hammer is down on the Colt SAA (& clones) and it’s pretty obvious leaving a loaded cartridge under it isn’t the safest thing to do.
    Correct, never leave a loaded cartridge under the hammer when the hammer is down in a 1873 or any copy with a fixed firing pin.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast