Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1873 Single-Action copies? Good, Bad, or other?

Feedback Score
    I've not loaded any BP loads on a progressive, I do have a dillon 550b. I honestly don't see why you couldn't, though.
    I had a Lee turret press prior to the dillon, which I still have. I used it for my BP loading. However, I started loading BP cartridges before I got the dillon. I have the Lyman BP powder measure. I adapted it to the charge die, so I can charge on the press. I've loaded 38 s&w, 357 mag, and 45 colt on this setup. I have a 58 berdan rifle, and I load these on the press, but have the Lyman measure seperate, dropping the charges through a drop tube (came with the measure).
    I've loaded plenty of 10ga on a standard mec 600 Jr press.
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 02-12-21 at 21:43.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Others here may know better, but I've heard evil things of running black powder in a mechanical powder measure...reputedly danger of an explosion from shearing grains.
    May have to think about Pyrodex as well; not for all the time, perhaps, but when I'm in the mood to make some smoke.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I’ve read similar in a book I cannot find now. Something about static electricity, I think. It was around 15 years ago, so I could be remembering wrong.

777 never killed me in my old reloading setup, so thats probably an option, too. Its fun stuff to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Others here may know better, but I've heard evil things of running black powder in a mechanical powder measure...reputedly danger of an explosion from shearing grains.
    May have to think about Pyrodex as well; not for all the time, perhaps, but when I'm in the mood to make some smoke.
    Moon
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1168, what's the cleanup like for Pyrodex after firing it....is it hydroscopic, like real black powder, and requires water cleanup?
    Happy to hear the 777 didn't blow you up!
    Thanks,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Dunno. I treated it like black powder, but not as OCD. So wet patches, and rinse the cylinder. I finish with a light coat of T/C bore butter.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Ubertis are OK.

Some years back Colt brought back "real" Colt BP revolvers..... as I recall they were Italian made, probably meaning Uberti.

I have one that was .38-40. I bored the chambers and rebarreled it with a Colt SAA take-off barrel (threads did match), now I can shoot .45 ACP through it, pretty handy. I also have a 1st Model Dragoon that's Italian and pretty sure it's an Uberti.

I would only say that if you get one, start looking for an extra hand / bolt spring to have around, the do break.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    You folks loading blackpowder on a regular basis; what is your method?
    I've been loading Trailboss cowboy loads; they are easy to load on the Dillon, and fun to shoot.
    I'd do it more often (even if the gun cleanup is a hassle) if the loading were less of a problem.
    Anyone loading black powder on a progressive? Concerns?
    BTW, these loads (maybe 850'sec in a carbine) knock the living snot out of dangling bowling pins at 35 yards.
    Moon
    I load 45 Colt and 45-70 with BP. I'm a bit meticulous with 45-70 but 45 colt for revolvers is pretty simple. I use a single stage press. There was an aluminum powder dispenser BP conversion for the Dillon presses years ago, but they were forced to quit making them by Dillon due to legal reasons as far as I know. I don't load BP on my 550 since I don't want to chance static build up on the plastic hopper right in front of my face.

For 45 Colt I use a 2cc Lee dipper since that gives me the needed volume to fill the case with some compression under my 270gr cast bullet. Basically you figure out how deep in the case your bullet will end up sitting and fill the case to a little over that point so that the powder is compressed a bit. I use about 1/10 inch of compression in my loads. That is pretty much it. You need to be sure that there is some compression or at least no air space between the powder and bullet as that risks a detonation. Also BP bullets need a BP friendly bullet lube. I make mine out of beeswax, lard or Crisco, and olive oil. This is to keep the fouling in the barrel soft between shots.

Cleanup is done with hot water then followed up with a couple of oiled/dry patches. The cases need to be cleaned ASAP as well to prevent corrosion. I use hot water and dish soap, rinse and repeat. Then tumble as normal. BP loading is a whole fun hobby on it's own and nothing is more fun that the deep boom and cloud of smoke. Hope that helps a bit.
    Last edited by Jermedic; 02-15-21 at 16:27. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    In response to the initial question, 45 colt will do anything you would need it for. I have taken coyotes no problem with my black powder loading. I have not shot at any other game with them as of yet. I own 2 Colts (45 and 357), a Uberti (45), and 2 Rugers (45 and 357). My Colts have both been slicked up and shoot great. I have done a little tuning to my Uberti and it shoots just as well as my colts. Same goes for the Rugers. The only notable difference is that the Colt in 45 will shoot longer with BP loads before needing a quick wipe down. The Uberti with BP will do about 12 shots before needing the fouling on the front of the cylinder and forcing cone wiped off. The Colt will go about 50 rounds before a wipe down. I attribute that to a tighter cylinder gap. The Colts look nicer, but they all flat out shoot once you get the feel for them.
    Last edited by Jermedic; 02-15-21 at 16:31. Reason: spelling

Feedback Score
    Ned Christianson, Colt had some BP replicas that came out of Hartford, and will actually 'letter' as a Colt. I'm too cheap to spend $100 on a factory letter for mine, it is beautifully made and finished.
    When I was loading BP, did it on the Dillon 550, but replaced the powder reservoir with a funnel, and made a dipper of a .45 case. It really wasn't that tough, but still more trouble than (completely painless) Trailboss.
    Yeah, I'd still like a real Colt, and saw a kid down at the Club actually shooting one.
    Will say the Uberti has music wire springs on the hand and locking bolt.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks everyone! Lots of good info and comments for me to consider.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast