Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Lightweight AR-10

Feedback Score

Cool Best Lightweight AR-10

Howdy y'all. After selling my M14 because it just became way too heavy after installing a scope mount and optics...I came to the realization I need something lighter. A medical condition prohibits me from getting jacked enough to swing around a 12+ pound rifle in the bushes up north, so here I am now back to the drawing board.

What I am really looking for is a semi-auto .308 that:
    1) Shoots 1.5 MOA or better
    2) Will shoot XM80 reasonably well (can't afford to stockpile match grade ammo)
    3) Is lightweight (8 pounds or less empty)
    4) Has a military/combat level of reliability and durability
    5) Has a chrome-lined or nitrided barrel

I haven't really come across any rifles except the Barrett REC10 that might be a fit. KAC has the SR-25 CC, but it's a little heavier and almost $5,000 where as the REC10 is much more reasonably priced at $2,500. Also saw the Sig 716i which looks okay but haven't really heard much about it. Doesn't look nearly as well put together as the others. Any thoughts are welcome

Feedback Score
    My SR-25 CC 16" upper with an LMT MARS-H lower is 8.256 lb; swap out the UBR 2.0 for an MOE SL or something, and you could easily hit 8 lb. My particular sample does terrible with M80 clones of all types (Federal, PP, Magtech, etc.), but is consistently about 1 MOA with FGMM.

That being said, the SR is very much just a toy for me, unless I need serious barrier penetration; otherwise, I don't see it doing that much practically compared to a nicely set up AR-15 if we're talking about tactical crap.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    Don’t forget the LaRue PredatAR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I built my AR10 in 6.5 CM using Xanthos upper/lower and Christensen Arms CF barrel and with optics, my rig weights 8lbs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you are deadset on a 308 AR its going to be a challenge to find one that ends up under 10 pounds empty once it is fully rigged out. If you are open to other calibers take a look at 6.5 Grendel. Smaller AR15 frame therefore much better component compatability between manufacturers, barrel lengths from 12.5 to 20+ inches, and ballistically very close to 308. My 308 AR with an 18" lightweight barrel, scope, mount, and sling was over 10 pounds empty. My 6.5 with 18" SPR barrel, scope, mount, and sling is 8.75 lbs. My 6.5 SBR with a 12.5" barrel, with scope, mount, and sling is 7.75 lbs. The Grendel with common hunting bullets has plenty of punch for northern deer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpete View Post
    If you are open to other calibers
    Beat me to it, although I was going to suggest 6.8. Even though it's 2021, it appears we cannot yet "have it all." It's my opinion that packing out .308 is automatic concession to a heavier loadout; by the time we talk about a larger frame weapon system, ammo, optics worthy of the capabilities of .308, etc. If the real need is capability beyond 5.56, but weight a priority over capability, I'd maybe look at another intermediate cartridge.

I recently put together a 6.8 out of parts; it's almost completely a Noveske blemish part build with their 16" stainless barrel, gas system, and NSR rail. It has a fairly chunky Bushnell 2x10 on top, and even with that though it's one of my lighter and nicer handling AR's. Shoots pleasantly too.

If you're set on .308, sorry that's of no help. All my 308s are factory guns, my 16" SR-25 the most lightweight. But again...add decent glass and a full mag and we're getting up there in a hurry.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    The V Seven harbinger is only 6.5lbs. Data on it hard to find but I have a 556 with one of his 16" barrels and its a half moa barrel. Everything I have read is its accurate but I have not seen any targets.

https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/...ger-308-rifle/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Howdy y'all. After selling my M14 because it just became way too heavy after installing a scope mount and optics...I came to the realization I need something lighter. A medical condition prohibits me from getting jacked enough to swing around a 12+ pound rifle in the bushes up north, so here I am now back to the drawing board.

What I am really looking for is a semi-auto .308 that:
    1) Shoots 1.5 MOA or better
    2) Will shoot XM80 reasonably well (can't afford to stockpile match grade ammo)
    3) Is lightweight (8 pounds or less empty)
    4) Has a military/combat level of reliability and durability
    5) Has a chrome-lined or nitrided barrel

I haven't really come across any rifles except the Barrett REC10 that might be a fit. KAC has the SR-25 CC, but it's a little heavier and almost $5,000 where as the REC10 is much more reasonably priced at $2,500. Also saw the Sig 716i which looks okay but haven't really heard much about it. Doesn't look nearly as well put together as the others. Any thoughts are welcome
    There are a lot of good lighter 308 gas guns too chose from today. If I may ask what is your budget, I think you should consider reliability and durability a little different for your next rifle as military durability often times means heavier. While I personally consider both to be important factors in what i like, I think most of todays mid to high end guns are very reliable, and often times, noticeably lighter than something with a mil pedigree.

I personally have 3, 308 gas guns as the moment, A SR25 ACC, a Scar 17, and an MWS, all are great guns for there own reasons. If I has to chose one it would be the MWS. Its just more flexible and at its lightest configuration its only about a half pound heavier than the SR25, or Scar.

For your case, I think that if you are looking for a field gun, i think something like the POF revolution is pretty interesting and they seem to have a solid rep. you could be right around 10lbs loaded with optic. If you want something with a little more of a mil pedigree, maybe consider the Scar. its not my favorite rifle in my collection but it does perform.

Feedback Score
    Dang, the Harbinger 308 is even a tad lighter than a late 1950's AR10.

Cuban-Lemnitzer.jpg

Feedback Score
    Build your own. My 16” is 6.5lbs before optics. .6-1MOA. Light enough to shoulder shots while standing. My hunting rig. It can be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast