Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Lightweight AR-10

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4hk33 View Post
    There are a lot of good lighter 308 gas guns too chose from today. If I may ask what is your budget, I think you should consider reliability and durability a little different for your next rifle as military durability often times means heavier. While I personally consider both to be important factors in what i like, I think most of todays mid to high end guns are very reliable, and often times, noticeably lighter than something with a mil pedigree.

I personally have 3, 308 gas guns as the moment, A SR25 ACC, a Scar 17, and an MWS, all are great guns for there own reasons. If I has to chose one it would be the MWS. Its just more flexible and at its lightest configuration its only about a half pound heavier than the SR25, or Scar.

For your case, I think that if you are looking for a field gun, i think something like the POF revolution is pretty interesting and they seem to have a solid rep. you could be right around 10lbs loaded with optic. If you want something with a little more of a mil pedigree, maybe consider the Scar. its not my favorite rifle in my collection but it does perform.
    What is your lightweight MES setup?

Feedback Score
    It’s a bit over your weight but the colt 901 Marc is 8.4 and very accurate. The POF rifles seem solid. Keith Garcia wrecks everybody with his. He even outruns 223 guys with his 308 in matches. If times were different I would say build one with a Faxon barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    What is your lightweight MES setup?
    13.5 with the lightweight barrel, and swap the acs with an sl stock

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Howdy y'all. After selling my M14 because it just became way too heavy after installing a scope mount and optics...I came to the realization I need something lighter. A medical condition prohibits me from getting jacked enough to swing around a 12+ pound rifle in the bushes up north, so here I am now back to the drawing board.

What I am really looking for is a semi-auto .308 that:
    1) Shoots 1.5 MOA or better
    2) Will shoot XM80 reasonably well (can't afford to stockpile match grade ammo)
    3) Is lightweight (8 pounds or less empty)
    4) Has a military/combat level of reliability and durability
    5) Has a chrome-lined or nitrided barrel

I haven't really come across any rifles except the Barrett REC10 that might be a fit. KAC has the SR-25 CC, but it's a little heavier and almost $5,000 where as the REC10 is much more reasonably priced at $2,500. Also saw the Sig 716i which looks okay but haven't really heard much about it. Doesn't look nearly as well put together as the others. Any thoughts are welcome
    The Zev/Mega Small Frame fits that description. I'm just not sure about the barrel part though, we used stainless steel Bartleins chambered for 260 Remington but it was based on 308 obviously since it's an AR10.
    Previously did all design work at CGS Group, 2014-2024.

Feedback Score
    That’s a nice setup.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel452 View Post
    Howdy y'all. After selling my M14 because it just became way too heavy after installing a scope mount and optics...I came to the realization I need something lighter. A medical condition prohibits me from getting jacked enough to swing around a 12+ pound rifle in the bushes up north, so here I am now back to the drawing board.

What I am really looking for is a semi-auto .308 that:
    1) Shoots 1.5 MOA or better
    2) Will shoot XM80 reasonably well (can't afford to stockpile match grade ammo)
    3) Is lightweight (8 pounds or less empty)
    4) Has a military/combat level of reliability and durability
    5) Has a chrome-lined or nitrided barrel

I haven't really come across any rifles except the Barrett REC10 that might be a fit. KAC has the SR-25 CC, but it's a little heavier and almost $5,000 where as the REC10 is much more reasonably priced at $2,500. Also saw the Sig 716i which looks okay but haven't really heard much about it. Doesn't look nearly as well put together as the others. Any thoughts are welcome
    If you can find one, Colt LE901:

1) Mine groups five rounds just above MOA with AMAX'S
    2) Admittedly I haven't tested it with ball ammo (will do so tmrw
    out of curiosity).
    3) Slightly over 8 lbs but not by much
    4) Colt
    5) Chrome-lined barrel
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 01-21-21 at 00:09.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12