Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I “need” it?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Do I “need” it?

It seems the beretta 1301 get universal praise, so do I need one? Have 870s and a M1S90. How many 12ga’s does one guy have to have?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have a Benelli Nova (my first ever 12 ga), a Benelli M4 (actually my wife’s) and a Mossberg 590A1. I am wanting to get the LTT 1301 for myself this year. I am sure that is on the low side for SGs on here.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Do you "need" it? Probably not.

But if you can afford it and want it, then what the hell.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would trade 870s and an M1S90 for a 1301T. I will probably keep one pump around as a ban hedge, but otherwise am divesting other shotguns, even my 20ga 1187 youth is going to go.

I have an Aimpoint on one and a 26" barrel on the backup. I plan to get rifle/express sights put on the 18" barrel for easy swapping.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Do you have children? Buy for your sons and their sons.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sjc3081 View Post
    Do you have children? Buy for your sons and their sons.
    ... and daughters and their daughters (I did). Warriors, arm your women, we’re in for some tough times.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    It seems the beretta 1301 get universal praise, so do I need one? Have 870s and a M1S90. How many 12ga’s does one guy have to have?
    I used to like shotguns and had an 870 and M1, M3, M4 tacticool Benelli's before I realized how little I shoot/use shotguns. I only kept my 870 and my dad's old Winchester pump.

Lately, I had been wanting to have a semi-auto back in the mix and was looking at M2. However, given that prices got stupid and every TacTimmy and his dog praises the Beretta 1301 (despite the fact that I wasn't impressed with the Gen 1), I picked up a 1301 Tac Gen 2.

I was pretty "meh" on it. Even running "Haught" style, the stock is way too short for me. Given all the add-ons that are required to tacticool it up, a $2k-2500 shotgun is lame. I could overlook the machining chatter marks but was not impressed that they couldn't get the front sight on straight. That being said, if I were going to beat the f*** out of a gun, this is a perfect candidate as I found myself not giving a damn a bout this gun.

Before taking it out and patterning it, I manipulated it quite a bit with dummy shells. It's fine, but I pretty much had the biggest wave of buyer's remorse I had EVER had in my 30+ year gun buying/collecting/shooting tenure. I remember sitting there with it on my lap and had a moment of clarity where I asked myself: "WTF am I going to do with this thing?". Sold it off a few days later...never even bothered to run a shell through this one.

Unless you're deep into the shotgun game and have shells stacked to the ceiling and dig the philosophy...I'd skip it.
    Last edited by pointblank4445; 01-09-21 at 11:26.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pointblank4445 View Post
    I used to like shotguns and had an 870 and M1, M3, M4 tacticool Benelli's before I realized how little I shoot/use shotguns. I only kept my 870 and my dad's old Winchester pump.

Lately, I had been wanting to have a semi-auto back in the mix and was looking at M2. However, given that prices got stupid and every TacTimmy and his dog praises the Beretta 1301 (despite the fact that I wasn't impressed with the Gen 1), I picked up a 1301 Tac Gen 2.

I was pretty "meh" on it. Even running "Haught" style, the stock is way too short for me. Given all the add-ons that are required to tacticool it up, a $2k-2500 shotgun is lame. I could overlook the machining chatter marks but was not impressed that they couldn't get the front sight on straight. That being said, if I were going to beat the f*** out of a gun, this is a perfect candidate as I found myself not giving a damn a bout this gun.

Before taking it out and patterning it, I manipulated it quite a bit with dummy shells. It's fine, but I pretty much had the biggest wave of buyer's remorse I had EVER had in my 30+ year gun buying/collecting/shooting tenure. I remember sitting there with it on my lap and had a moment of clarity where I asked myself: "WTF am I going to do with this thing?". Sold it off a few days later...never even bothered to run a shell through this one.

Unless you're deep into the shotgun game and have shells stacked to the ceiling and dig the philosophy...I'd skip it.
    That’s disappointing to hear.

This one seems fine build quality wise and the price is decent ($1195). I actually like the shorter stocks as most shotguns are way too long.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    “I don’t like shotguns so I didn’t like the 1301" seems like a pretty pointless post. Then complain about the short LOP without bothering to mention it comes with spacers.

Maybe just skip on past the shotgun forum next time.

Shotguns are not my first choice for SD and I’ve mainly used them to shoot things flying through the air that are covered with feathers or orange paint. I’m not a shotgun aficionado or fanboy but I’ve shot a lot of different ones over the years and I happen to like the 1301 over any of them.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    “I don’t like shotguns so I didn’t like the 1301" seems like a pretty pointless post. Then complain about the short LOP without bothering to mention it comes with spacers.

Maybe just skip on past the shotgun forum next time.

Shotguns are not my first choice for SD and I’ve mainly used them to shoot things flying through the air that are covered with feathers or orange paint. I’m not a shotgun aficionado or fanboy but I’ve shot a lot of different ones over the years and I happen to like the 1301 over any of them.

I could've called that one that you felt slighted and had to lash out. Never said I didn't like shotguns...nor did I ever say I don't know how to use one; just said I don't use them very much. Remember Quigley...

The OP's thought and post very much mirrored my own position not long ago. Can you not disagree without dragging your feelings into a situation?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast