Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merino wool beanie

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Merino wool beanie

Can anybody give me a recommendation for a USA made merino wool beanie?
    Looking for something to keep in my winter bag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well crap, I didn't realize my Smartwool 150 is from Vietnam. All my socks from them were USA.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Thanks! Ordered one this afternoon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Well crap, I didn't realize my Smartwool 150 is from Vietnam. All my socks from them were USA.
    Yeah, very little clothing and other apparel furnishings (socks, underwear, etc.) are actually made in the US although some product imply they are. It really takes effort as there isn't a significant apparel or raw material manufacturing in the US anymore. There is some, but more mom/pop smaller operations and people who bought specific older factories from manufacturing hubs (i.e. Denim in North Carolina).

While it's more expensive to manufacture in the US, the quality can be light years better without the expense of shipping across the world. And with the quality materials and manufacturing comes longevity most people aren't used to in Apparel. Yes the garments cost more but over the lifespan of the garment, quality USA products are less expensive.

It's why my favorite boots (Redwing Heritage) are made in the US and last forever with resoling. My Levi's 501 STF made in NC are still my favorite jeans as well although with Cone Mills closing, probably no longer US made.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    They started doing that a few years ago. I’ve stopped buying their products when buying new items now.

For beanies I haven’t found one made in the States. Maybe Beyond, Wildthings or Prometheus? I’m happy with my Arc’teryx RHO beanies for lightweight and Patagonia watch cap for heavyweight. I hate beanies that don’t stay over my ears. Ibex and Icebreaker make good wool gear, maybe check them out.
    Last edited by CRAMBONE; 01-08-21 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    Not Merino wool bit if anyone wants a beenie made in the usa Jocko's company Origin is all 100% made in the usa in Maine. He originally started it to offer made in the usa Gis for jujitsu and had expaded into clothing and stuff too. Really high quality stuff

https://originmaine.com/durable-goods/crimson-beanie/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Yeah, very little clothing and other apparel furnishings (socks, underwear, etc.) are actually made in the US although some product imply they are. It really takes effort as there isn't a significant apparel or raw material manufacturing in the US anymore. There is some, but more mom/pop smaller operations and people who bought specific older factories from manufacturing hubs (i.e. Denim in North Carolina).

While it's more expensive to manufacture in the US, the quality can be light years better without the expense of shipping across the world. And with the quality materials and manufacturing comes longevity most people aren't used to in Apparel. Yes the garments cost more but over the lifespan of the garment, quality USA products are less expensive.

It's why my favorite boots (Redwing Heritage) are made in the US and last forever with resoling. My Levi's 501 STF made in NC are still my favorite jeans as well although with Cone Mills closing, probably no longer US made.
    Ran in to that with a lambs wool sweater made in Australia and fleece shirt and jacket made in Canada purchased from Cabela's and all were as good as a person could ask for.

A few years later I decided I would like the same items, including size, in a different color. Got the new ones and found none of them were cut to the same proportions with necks cut a good 2 sizes too small. The Australian lambs wool was also comfortable against skin, but the new one was like fiberglass insulation. In each case I thought they had sent the wrong size, but checking found the right size tag and that they were now Chinese made.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    I came here to post smartwool as well, but yeah, it appears to be just their socks. Lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Another vote for Arc'teryx and Icebreaker beanies. I usually wind up topping these with a heavier OR ear-flap hat or whatever the hell they're called. Never failed me in SAR applications going in/out on snowshoes.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast