Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Apple threatens to kick Parlor out of the App Store unless they “moderate”

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    And? You expect the government to do anything about it especially with this current admin coming in?

Do you remember when the DOJ was trying to get credit card companies and banks to stop doing business with gun manufacturers?
    Umm, you mean like I referenced above?

Yes I know we can't count on the Democrats to preserve the Constitution. Sadly I don't think we can count on the courts anymore either. What we're seeing in the span of a single week is unprecedented in modern history. Mass arrests for exercising free speech, open threats towards conservatives, widespread silencing of conservative opinions on social media, mass defunding of the GOP, and the mobilization of 20 THOUSAND troops who will be armed with lethal weapons against American citizens, all in service to the leftist takeover of the country. They've all but openly declared war on us.

Which brings me to my next prognostification. Within a few weeks (if not days) of the inauguration, we'll see Biden, Pelosi and Schumer introduce a massive "Anti-Domestic Terrorism" bill in the House and Senate. They'll ram it through with their newly acquired control over the Senate. No one will be given time to read it because that's not how laws are made anymore. It will essentially authorize local, state and federal agencies to spy on anyone to the right of Hillary Clinton. They'll be authorized to shut down any communications they deem "threatening" without due process. "Colluderism" will become a felony.

Sound like a conspiracy theory? Well so does all the stuff in the first paragraph, but it's already happened!
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    WARNING: AMATEUR AND PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES LICENSEES AND
    OPERATORS MAY NOT USE RADIO EQUIPMENT TO COMMIT OR FACILITATE
    CRIMINAL ACTS
    The Enforcement Bureau (Bureau) of the Federal Communications Commission issues this
    Enforcement Advisory to remind licensees in the Amateur Radio Service, as well as licensees
    and operators in the Personal Radio Services, that the Commission prohibits the use of radios in
    those services to commit or facilitate criminal acts.
    The Bureau has become aware of discussions on social media platforms suggesting that certain
    radio services regulated by the Commission may be an alternative to social media platforms for
    groups to communicate and coordinate future activities. The Bureau recognizes that these
    services can be used for a wide range of permitted purposes, including speech that is protected
    under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. Amateur and Personal Radio Services,
    however, may not be used to commit or facilitate crimes.
    Specifically, the Bureau reminds amateur licensees that they are prohibited from transmitting
    “communications intended to facilitate a criminal act” or “messages encoded for the purpose of
    obscuring their meaning.”1
    Likewise, individuals operating radios in the Personal Radio
    Services, a category that includes Citizens Band radios, Family Radio Service walkie-talkies, and
    General Mobile Radio Service, are prohibited from using those radios “in connection with any
    activity which is against Federal, State or local law.”2
    Individuals using radios in the Amateur or
    Personal Radio Services in this manner may be subject to severe penalties, including significant
    fines, seizure of the offending equipment, and, in some cases, criminal prosecution.3
    Media inquiries should be directed to 202-418-0500 or MediaRelations@fcc.gov.
    To file a complaint with the FCC, visit https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov or call 1-888-CALLFCC. To report a crime, contact your local law enforcement office or the FBI.
    47 CFR § 97.113(a)(4).
    47 CFR § 95.333(a).
    47 U.S.C. §§ 401, 501, 503, 510.
    FCC ENFORCEMENT ADVISORY
    Federal Communications Commission DA 21-73
    To request materials in accessible formats for people with disabilities (Braille, large print,
    electronic files, audio format), send an e-mail to fcc504@fcc.gov or call the Consumer &
    Governmental Affairs Bureau at (202) 418-0530 (voice), (202) 418-0432 (TTY).
    Issued by: Chief, Enforcement Bureau

Source: https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-21-73A1.pdf
    Open the pig!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Baker: "Muh property rights. No cakes for gay people."

Big tech and corporate America: "Muh property rights. No service for insurrectionists and Neo-confederates"

Freedom right?
    Listen. Tell. Run Like Hell.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecWired View Post

Big tech and corporate America: "Muh property rights. No service for insurrectionists and Neo-confederates"

Freedom right?
    Last I checked, the baker wasn't a billion dollar monopoly forcibly killing their competitors.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecWired View Post

Freedom right?
    Hey, remember when the state of Colorado went after that baker time and time again trying to force them into financial ruin over their refusal to bake a cake for a gay couple because it went against their religious values?

Remember that gay couple had other options?

Yeah, those were the good times of state sanctioned lynching's.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser KAR98K View Post
    Last I checked, the baker wasn't a billion dollar monopoly forcibly killing their competitors.
    EFF does a pretty good job of explaining the difference here:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2021/0...rler-and-stack

And another good article on censorship vs moderation vs deplatforming:

https://pluralistic.net/2021/01/09/t...tforming<br />

Key point:

Apple and Google may be within rights to kick parler off of their app stores.

And you can always just switch to a different app store...

Oh wait, they are the only two. Thus the very large issue.

Same with Amazon web services, when you control 80% of the cloud services there are simply not alternatives.

The real answer is they are effectively common carriers with de facto monopolies and need to have restrictions about censorship of content just like the phone companies do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

Key point:

Same with Amazon web services, when you control 80% of the cloud services there are simply not alternatives.

The real answer is they are effectively common carriers with de facto monopolies and need to have restrictions about censorship of content just like the phone companies do.
    I can't speak for Apple and how it's iOS works however, you don't need Google play store to download apps. I've never used it. I go straight to the source.

For example, I don't need Google store to download Waze, it's right there on their websiteScreenshot_20210119-101504.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Google can disable side loading apps in an update and I won’t be surprised when they do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post

Key point:

I’d argue that web services have become as essential as traditional telephone services once were and as essential as electricity, thus are now in the realm of public utilities which should be treated as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I can't speak for Apple and how it's iOS works however, you don't need Google play store to download apps. I've never used it. I go straight to the source.
    Many of us side load apps onto android. But as mentioned, Google can disable it, and you have to be careful as you could load and infected APK.

Google is already pretty restrictive on what it allows into the play store. It's actually pretty hard to get an app on there.

There is some promising development in a Googleless Android device, and there's also a Linux based phone. But you'll lose a lot of polish and reliability doing so initially.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast