Thread: Thinking about a Sitz Special

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thinking about a Sitz Special

I'm sure everyone knows what a Fitz Special is, although there were only a few hundred built. The Fitz Special is among other things the father of Colt's Detective Special.

I was recently gifted a 4" nickel .38 Special 5 screw Hand Ejector S prefix revolver, this is considered the pre M and P. This one has some flaking nickel and a dark bore. It seems mechanically sound and with 50 rounds fired it seems timing and lock up are okay as there was no noticeable lead shaving.

I'm thinking it might be a fun project gun for a Sitz Special. Shorten the barrel to approximate 2", shorten. ejector rod the same, remount the front sight and bob the hammer and cutaway trigger guard. It will probably never by carried or if so a very minimal amount on special occasions, sort of a retro BBQ gun.

Other than to a SW collector it has no significant value, but it does represent a time when the major components were serialized.

Maybe my next build won't be on a AR platform.

image.jpeg
    Last edited by Beachboy; 01-09-21 at 02:22.
    Send lawyers, guns and money the $#!+ has hit the fan...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Not really a good idea to lose the ejector rod lock up.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    Not really a good idea to lose the ejector rod lock up.
    A 2” replacement barrel might not be too hard to source though.

Sent from 80ms in the future

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'd try to find a Model 10 Heavy barrel, 2" or even a 3" to bolt onto it. It would save you some machining work vs. having the barrel cut and a new front sight mounted-- though I'd have a 'smith run a mill on the top strap and give me a better sighting groove anyway.....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    Hmm, Maybe look for a 2 inch Smith 64, though if you wanted keep orthodox towards Fritz I'd look for DET special. I'm not a fan of cutting the trigger guard, maybe thin it out instead? I agree with the above suggestion to try and source a 2" barrel and ejector rod.